Drawing Textures Problem

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
Strida

Drawing Textures Problem

Post by Strida » January 29th, 2013, 2:22 am

I'm learning and trying 2D games development with DirectX and i'm having a little problem.

I've managed to read, create and draw textures with the types:

Code: Select all

LPDIRECT3DDEVICE9 // for the D3D Device, 
 LPDIRECT3DTEXTURE9 // for textures, 
 LPD3DXSPRITE // for the Sprite used to draw the textures, 
 D3DXVECTOR3 // for X, Y and Z position  
And the functions:

D3DXCreateTextureFromFile( LPDIRECT3DDEVICE9 pDevice,LPCTSTR pSrcFile, 
                           LPDIRECT3DTEXTURE9 *ppTexture ) // to create the textures,

D3DXCreateSprite( LPDIRECT3DDEVICE9 pDevice, LPD3DXSPRITE *ppSprite ) // to create the Sprites,

Begin( DWORD flags ) // to start drawing the sprite,

Draw( LPDIRECT3DTEXTURE9 pSrcTexture, CONST RECT *pSrcRect, D3DXVECTOR3 *center,
      CONST D3DVECTOR3 *pTranslation,  D3DCOLOR Color ) // to draw the sprite with a texture and other specifications,

End() // to finish drawing the sprite. 
I'm calling the Begin, Draw and End functions between the BeginScene() (which goes after a Clear function) and EndScene() (which is followed by a Present function).

Everything is working fine, except for a little problem. The textures are being drawed bigger than their actual size. I'm not using any scale or matrix to change the textures size/position in the sprite drawing function, like described below:

pSprite->Draw( pTexture, NULL, NULL, &pPosition, 0xFFFFFFFF );
I know that most of these functions and types were not covered on the tutorials yet, but i'd be glad if someone shared a solution for this problem.

LuX

Re: Drawing Textures Problem

Post by LuX » January 29th, 2013, 12:37 pm

The function you use loads the images in sizes of multiples of 2. In other words it loads the closest next size from 2, 4, 8, 16,...128, 256, 512, 1024, etc

Use "D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx" instead where you can give the exact size you want or use "D3DXDEFAULT" or something like that to get the size of the image automatically.
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ

Strida

Re: Drawing Textures Problem

Post by Strida » January 29th, 2013, 3:44 pm

It works now! When i create the textures with D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx, they are created with their original size.

HRESULT hr = D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx( pD3DDevice, L"pathtofile", D3DX_DEFAULT_NONPOW2, D3DX_DEFAULT_NONPOW2,
												  D3DX_DEFAULT, 0, D3DFMT_FROM_FILE, D3DPOOL_DEFAULT, D3DX_DEFAULT, 
												  D3DX_DEFAULT, 0, NULL, NULL, pTexture );

Thanks! And sorry for my (bad) english.