Classic Space Shooter - (Vortexnova [1.0])

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
magusofmirrors

Re: Classic Space Shooter

Post by magusofmirrors » June 12th, 2012, 1:21 am

You should work on the hiscores and fix the interface a bit. I think that needs work before you add lots of sparkle to your game. Anyways, nice job implementing the particles, but you could have made it an array of structures rather than that of two integers (adds flexibility ;)).
The admins are coming!!!

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » June 12th, 2012, 3:30 am

magusofmirrors wrote:You may not care about the type conversion and probably not about the safe functions either, but I am pretty sure cleaning that up scares less people and makes your project easier to modify.
Yeah LuX! You should use the safe library functions and always make your conversions explicit. I always do that. Always. Just watch my videos. I am mister safety. :lol:

Seriously though LuX, this looks like fun and I'm going to have a crack at it when I get home. :)
Chili

LuX

Post by LuX » June 12th, 2012, 9:00 am

Hmm... I guess I never cared about warnings in c++. In VB a warning used to mean error since there things get really mixed up. I'll have to look into that.
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » June 12th, 2012, 10:26 am

Hehe, I'm usually too lazy to use the non-deprecated functions (or too stubborn). Notices about implicit conversion do bother me a little, but generally I'll live. :P
Chili

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » June 12th, 2012, 11:44 am

Game is fun! :D

The particle sucking feature was a sweet idea too.

The only thing this game needs now... is a background! :lol:

No seriously though, you did a lot of work on processing the keyboard text input. There's actually a better (i.e. way easier) way to do this. It works by storing the value of the keys pressed in a buffer instead of having a separate bool for each key's state. We will also replace the keystate bool variables with an array of bools indexed to the key values. Buffer for text input, keystate array for game control.
Chili

LuX

Post by LuX » June 12th, 2012, 12:09 pm

Yeah I though there might be a better way to do the keys. I kinda took some of the ideas from another game I saw on youtube... But glad you like it.

Also, I couldn't get the score file to load up properly. I tried first to load the name into a name 2d array but that didn't work at all so I tried separate arrays, still doesn't work.

And I actually found a background already, but when I try to load it I get the stack error. So then I rised the stack higher. Didn't work. Rise some more, still doesn't. Then I tried insane stack amounts and still doesn't work. I guess I'll have to wait for the next tutorial then.
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ

npissoawsome

Post by npissoawsome » June 12th, 2012, 5:57 pm

LuX wrote:Yeah I though there might be a better way to do the keys. I kinda took some of the ideas from another game I saw on youtube... But glad you like it.

Also, I couldn't get the score file to load up properly. I tried first to load the name into a name 2d array but that didn't work at all so I tried separate arrays, still doesn't work.

And I actually found a background already, but when I try to load it I get the stack error. So then I rised the stack higher. Didn't work. Rise some more, still doesn't. Then I tried insane stack amounts and still doesn't work. I guess I'll have to wait for the next tutorial then.
Stack as in your stack ram? Why not just declare it in your heap?

LuX

Re: Classic Space Shooter - (Vortexnova [1.0])

Post by LuX » June 29th, 2012, 1:41 pm

So here's the latest version of the game. I named it Vortexnova, for no apparent reason.

The game has a lot of fixes and improvements in accuracy of movement and I remade the enemies to be a lot more fun to fight against. They will spawn faster and move faster over time, in a smooth way, rather than suddenly boosting their speed.

From the visual part its a complete makeover with glittering sparkles and I didn't spare transparent pixels anywhere. I also made the menus to look a bit cooler.

As always; controls:
WASD - move
Mouse - aim
Left Mouse - shoot
Right Mouse - suck stardust (formerly particles)
Right Mouse Release - launch stardust
Tab - pause menu (new)

The game has now a pause menu, and you need it to access the shop, where you can buy cool new weapons, bullets, most importantly, powerguns, repairs...

The score save system works somewhat, but it's extremely buggy. Sometimes the score wont save properly, sometimes it wont load properly, sometimes it randomy erases saves etc. But sometimes it works :lol:

Feel free to try and make the score system work. I tried multiple ways, the best so far is the current one where I basically coded it the hard way, one by one.
Attachments
Vortexnova [1.0].rar
(717.16 KiB) Downloaded 303 times
Vortexnova.png
(791.3 KiB) Downloaded 187 times
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ

Asimov

Post by Asimov » June 29th, 2012, 2:07 pm

Hi Lux,

Very impressive. Think you could do with a scrolling score board, but the game is fantastic.
I love the transparent balls as well.

I think this would be good as a two player game as well, just need some winsock code to make it work.

Asimov
----> Asimov
"You know no matter how much I think I have learnt. I always end up hitting brick walls"
http://www.asimoventerprises.co.uk

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » June 30th, 2012, 2:35 am

Looking very polished LuX, very nice! The menu system great. At first I thought you were using sprites for it, but now I see you coded your own controls using line drawing etc. Hardcore. 8-)

P.S. The scoreboard works fine on my computer.
Chili