Sneak Peek at the Beginner Reboot

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
chili
Site Admin

Sneak Peek at the Beginner Reboot

Post by chili » July 24th, 2016, 11:05 am

Here's a little sneak peek at the intro episode of the new series. Give me your feedback!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLKuOCtjWTs
Chili

yoshiyukiblade

Re: Sneak Peek at the Beginner Reboot

Post by yoshiyukiblade » July 24th, 2016, 12:18 pm

Looks good so far! It's kind of weird to see things moving along at a faster pace lol. I'm slightly concerned about how quickly newbies will be able to follow. In terms of pacing, some parts have a "been there, done that" feel, so a lot of common UI mouse maneuvers go by quickly, which may or may not be a problem. I suppose feedback from bigger newbies than myself will matter most in this situation.

As always, the humor is a nice touch. :P

Pindrought

Post by Pindrought » July 24th, 2016, 2:09 pm

Awesome. I'm loving the organization 11/10
PM me if you need to contact me. Thanks to all the helpful people on this forum especially to Chili.

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » July 25th, 2016, 4:37 am

Yeah, had to go back and watch/listen to your original episode 1, YOU SOUND SO HIGH.

In the new one, you have a lot more enthusiasm. You definitely hit all the same points and mostly the same puns, I guess talking fast saved you about 5 minutes of recording time. Hopefully, you won't be speaking so fast in the rest of the series.
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

void matt()

Post by void matt() » July 26th, 2016, 5:55 pm

I like it! Super clear image and sound, looking forward to more videos! Chili rulez :ugeek:
chili: "If you wanna do it, then you gotta do it."

Lorth

Post by Lorth » July 27th, 2016, 8:36 pm

Hey

Have to say that it feels awesome to see the new reboot series, so many memories came back. from the good old Days, have been a member here for along time now :D

Was playing around with the framework and the pixel function and did a Square with 2 for loops and made it follow the mouse cords...

while playing around, I found a situation where the framework crashed, and for those who might wanna learn to debug and find the problem themself, don't read the spoiler :D
here is what i founded:
Spoiler:
The framework crashes when the pixel box is putting pixels at y < 0 or y > screenheight.
while in the situation where i put pixels at x < 0 or x > screenwidth, the pixels get wrapped in the framework.
Think i got the skills to fix the problem myself, but as this is the new framework chili might wanna have to dubble check this for future videos to prevent questionmarks to appear :D

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » July 28th, 2016, 3:49 am

Lorth wrote:Hey

Have to say that it feels awesome to see the new reboot series, so many memories came back. from the good old Days, have been a member here for along time now :D

Was playing around with the framework and the pixel function and did a Square with 2 for loops and made it follow the mouse cords...

while playing around, I found a situation where the framework crashed, and for those who might wanna learn to debug and find the problem themself, don't read the spoiler :D
here is what i founded:
Spoiler:
The framework crashes when the pixel box is putting pixels at y < 0 or y > screenheight.
while in the situation where i put pixels at x < 0 or x > screenwidth, the pixels get wrapped in the framework.
Think i got the skills to fix the problem myself, but as this is the new framework chili might wanna have to dubble check this for future videos to prevent questionmarks to appear :D
It's not a bug if that's what you are thinking. Trying to put data outside the bounds of the array will always cause undefined behavior. Sometimes an instant crash, sometimes a but a few lines or iterations after.
Spoiler:
The reason the pixels get wrapped around on the X axis, is because the 2D array of pixels is an illusion. The array is just a straight line of integers, so going from pixel 1279 on the left to 1280 being on the right side starting the next row. Going lower than 0 on the Y means you are trying to access a memory location before the array, and greater than or equal to the screen height 720 or higher, is the last 1280 integers in the array, so you are trying to access memory that is after the array.
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

BurakCanik

Post by BurakCanik » July 30th, 2016, 12:35 am

Holy shit it's perfect!

Dude seriously, I watched it with a big dorky smile on my face. I dunno it's nostalgia I guess. Don't get me wrong, previous beginner series was awesome too. I mean I can't really say anything bad about it since it probably was the reason that I changed my major and my university on my 4'th year. But this time, shit feels a lot more ORGANIZED. Also agreeing with papa here, you sound a lot more enthusiastic. Adding the wiki, newcomers are in for one hell of a ride! Keep up the good work bro.

Also that Morpheous reference was f**king cool.
If real is what you can feel, smell, taste and see, then 'real' is simply electrical signals interpreted by your brain" - Morpheus

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » July 30th, 2016, 6:46 am

Hey guys, thanks for all the kind words and feedback. I'm glad you don't completely hate it, it bodes well :)

And about the pacing, I had to pick up the pace for the first lesson because a lot of people would click away if it drags on without any actual tutorialating and I'm also conveying more information than the last one. The pace will not be like that for the whole series.
Chili