Just feel like venting.

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
albinopapa

Just feel like venting.

Post by albinopapa » December 6th, 2015, 8:58 pm

Has anyone else had this happen or am I the one with the bad luck?

You install the latest OS, everything runs fine for a few months then something causes you to format and reinstall. The problem then is the second install of the OS seems to cause more problems than the first time you installed the OS.

Basically, I installed Windows 10 both the tech preview on a different computer and the RTM (Release to Market) in July to my main computer. All was well on main computer until about two weeks ago when I was no longer able to log in. Either the SSD or my 1 TB mechanical drive was seemingly going out. First boot I could log in, but the computer would lock up after. Second boot, I couldn't even get to the log in screen. Third boot, the computer locked up on the windows logo. That's about as far as things would go. I tried the auto recovery from the CD, didn't find any errors. Tried reinstalling, computer locks up after loading the setup loader (Windows P.E.). Tried using Linux Mint to format and reinstall, but the drives were locked because Windows didn't shut down properly. Moved the drives to my other computer that originally had the tech preview on it, now updated to current build. Was able to copy everything off the SSD and mechanical drive to the 2 TB on that computer. Was also able to format both drives and reinstall Windows 10 to my main computer on the SSD.

Since then, chrome shuts down randomly with no errors. Windows explorer stops responding on occasion. Context menu when right clicking on a file to check the properties shows up, but not the properties dialog box. Just random stuff. I have had this problem before with Windows 7 and 8. The first install runs very smoothly for months, then I do something stupid like playing in the registry or install some shady software and end up having to format and reinstall and of course subsequent installs are never as stable as the first one for some reason.

When I do reinstall, I usually delete the partitions, recreate then format hoping that there isn't going to be any leftover data to cause any conflicts, but it really hasn't ever helped.

I've even had issues with Windows ME back in the day. It ran fine, reinstalled to a secondary drive or partition can't remember, but after the reinstall, things just wouldn't work properly...it's been over oh 15 years since so memory is a little fuzzy on the details. Don't recall having these issues with WindowsXP though, which is weird.

I'm just wondering if my SSD is going out, it's a year old Samsung 840 evo 250GB. Or maybe, my mother board which is probably like 6-7 years old Gigabyte 880gma-e53. I've replaced the power supply a few times in the last 7 years. My mechanical drive isn't even in the computer any more so I know it's not that. It could also be a corrupted download, bad USB flash drive that I copied the ISO to. Too many factors to think about.

Any suggestions?
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

chili
Site Admin

Re: Just feel like venting.

Post by chili » December 7th, 2015, 5:43 am

I'd just like to add that I fucking hate computers.
Chili

Natories

Post by Natories » December 8th, 2015, 5:41 pm

Something similar happened to me during that 2nd OS upgrade. I had upgraded from Windows 7 prior and after the second upgrade, the computer stated that my windows was no longer activated. Windows 7 activation code didn't work for windows 10 after the second upgrade. I had to reinstall 7 and then do the free upgrade, again, to solve the problem.
As chili stated... "I fucking hate computers."
Natories

MrGodin

Post by MrGodin » December 9th, 2015, 2:20 am

How can ya hate 0s and 1s, its the arrangement of those pesky bits'n'bytes that drives one bonkers ... Just my 2 cents worth .. hahaha
Peace Out
Curiosity killed the cat, satisfaction brought him back

LuisR14

Post by LuisR14 » December 9th, 2015, 4:20 am

i believe that a key for one OS won't ever work with another OS xD
always available, always on, about ~10 years c/c++, java[script], win32/directx api, [x]html/css/php/some asp/sql experience. (all self taught)
Knows English, Spanish and Japanese.
[url=irc://irc.freenode.net/#pchili]irc://irc.freenode.net/#pchili[/url] [url=irc://luisr14.no-ip.org/#pchili]alt[/url] -- join up if ever want real-time help or to just chat :mrgreen: --

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » December 9th, 2015, 7:37 am

Yeah, the unlocking of Win10 for upgraders is machine specific. If you upgrade your hard-drive or motherboard, you will be required to reactivate. Not sure how Microsoft handles that stuff didn't read too deep, but have luckily not had to deal with that directly. It seems the authentication server recognized my machine and activated just fine.

The crazy thing to me is how many copies of Windows in general are sold, and yet the key length is the same for all versions from Windows XP on, yet there's no collision.
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

LuisR14

Post by LuisR14 » December 9th, 2015, 9:22 am

lol, only the motherboard is what matters, tho of course if you upgrade the hard drive and reinstall the OS on that new hard drive then you'd obviously have to activate again (you'd have to get a new key if change motherboard heh)

not only for OS' but also for MS' products, like Office and Visual Studio are the keys the same lol, from what i'd guess they could probably also retrieve the product info being activated to make sure the key is valid for the product, that way there wouldn't be any collisions (just a guess)

E: (actually... found that to be true with this app MS offers for download called MGADiag, Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostics tool, heh)
always available, always on, about ~10 years c/c++, java[script], win32/directx api, [x]html/css/php/some asp/sql experience. (all self taught)
Knows English, Spanish and Japanese.
[url=irc://irc.freenode.net/#pchili]irc://irc.freenode.net/#pchili[/url] [url=irc://luisr14.no-ip.org/#pchili]alt[/url] -- join up if ever want real-time help or to just chat :mrgreen: --