Earlier downloaded programs from forum doesn't work now

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
astr0

Earlier downloaded programs from forum doesn't work now

Post by astr0 » September 25th, 2015, 7:24 am

Hi guys. I downloaded some programs from this forum like 2 years ago and now when I want to run them most of them don't work. Even some of my programs don't work.

I am getting this error

Unhandled exception at 0x001217c1 in Chili DirectX Framework.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation writing location 0x06d00100.

Any idea how to solve this problem?

Btw best regards to all, I am back after 2 years :D And I am bringing my friend with me :D
Programming is my art.

albinopapa

Re: Earlier downloaded programs from forum doesn't work now

Post by albinopapa » September 25th, 2015, 8:28 pm

Not enough to go on really, but have you upgraded your OS to Win8/8.1/10? Have you upgraded your Visual Studio to 2012, 2013, 2015? Changed computers?

Basically, if the file you downloaded was an exe and not the whole project where you compiled it yourself, then it could be that the video card doesn't support the DX9 mode that the chili framework is using. Perhaps there are some missing files.

Which programs did you download and have fail?
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

astr0

Post by astr0 » September 29th, 2015, 8:19 am

Nah i haven't upgraded visual studio. I didn't change computer either. I have some programs I downloaded with source code and when I test it, it says no errors but doesn't run it :(. Even some of my programs I wrote don't work.

ScreenSmash I downloaded long time ago doesn't work now. I started making Paint and it doesn't work now. :(
Programming is my art.

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » September 29th, 2015, 7:22 pm

Desktop Toybox "Screen Smash" doesn't seem to run on my computer either, I'm running Windows 10. I've tried using compatibility mode for Windows 7 and it still didn't work.

That's the only one I tried. Wonder if there are some external dependencies (DLL's) that aren't available in the later versions of Windows, just speculation really. Can you post a link to one that has source code with the download that you have tried that doesn't work?

Changing compilers wouldn't affect the uploaded programs that are already compiled, and without build errors, it seems that the compiler can find all the files needed to build the projects that aren't precompiled. So, that leaves different operating systems and missing the Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime libraries. I'm guessing that most of the projects need either the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 or 2012 redistributable libraries.

Can't say that this is the problem either, as I seem to have several versions of both libraries in both 32 bit and 64 bit flavors and still have issues. I have multiple monitors, but not sure if that's causing an issue, I can't remember if I tried it with only one monitor or not.
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com