Begginers lesson nº 5 doubt

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
luskas

Begginers lesson nº 5 doubt

Post by luskas » September 1st, 2015, 10:43 am

Hi Chilli. Thanks a lot for your lessons... I have a doubt a while in begginers lesson nº 5.
It´s ok that the reticle changes color to red when we hit space.
But when we do like UP+LEFT+SPACE you can see that the color won't change.
It only changes with this combination: UP + RIGHT + SPACE...
What´s up with that?

Thanks a lot man!

albinopapa

Re: Begginers lesson nº 5 doubt

Post by albinopapa » September 1st, 2015, 11:07 am

You should upload your project after cleaning it. It will allow someone to be able to see what's going on with it. It may be that certain key combinations with your keyboard won't work, or it could be the way your code is laid out. Point is, without the code, it's just guess work.

Please be sure to read the page on cleaning your project before posting, chili will snap :), not really, but he has been known to delete the post and have you re-upload after cleaning.
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

luskas

Post by luskas » September 1st, 2015, 4:49 pm

Oh i see sorry about that :P . There isn't much too see really. Just the code until lesson 5 exactly as the tut.
Seems like if we make the mix UP+LEFT+SPACE, DOWN+LEFT+SPACE, DOWN+RIGHT+SPACE the 'shooting' doesn't work. It will only works UP+RIGHT+SPACE.
Attachments
Chili DirectX Framework.zip
(34.44 KiB) Downloaded 130 times

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » September 1st, 2015, 5:28 pm

Checked it out, there isn't a problem in the code, perhaps it's the keyboard/key combinations. I was able to move the reticle around holding space-bar and without.
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

luskas

Post by luskas » September 1st, 2015, 5:52 pm

Even if you point UP+LEFT? Can you still see the recticle turning red? That´s odd... I've tryed in both laptop and desktop computer and it doesn't work. It moves but it doesn't trigger the space bar key.
Maybe something to do with european keyboard?

UPDATE: If i use number keypad arrows instead of the normal cursors it works... How odd is that??

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » September 2nd, 2015, 1:13 am

That's just the way some (most) keyboards are. You can get higher-end keyboards that guarantee that, for example, any combination of 3 keys or 4 keys will be properly detected, but in general there is no guarantee for simultaneous detection except for special keys like CTRL, SHIFT, ALT.
Chili

luskas

Post by luskas » September 2nd, 2015, 8:10 am

Oh shitty keyboard you!!! Thanks people!