game like isaac?

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
degines

game like isaac?

Post by degines » February 25th, 2015, 3:36 pm

how can i make a game like the binding of isaac? has anyone done it before?

it dosnt matter if the graphics are way worse

degines

Re: game like isaac?

Post by degines » February 25th, 2015, 4:10 pm

please anyone willing to help me?

nackles

Post by nackles » February 25th, 2015, 4:45 pm

Sorry for late reply. But i would assume this type of game would be very diffucult to make. Are you a beginner or pro C++ man? And have you looked around for different engines and tools? Start with making textures in photoshop or MS.Paint. I was usuing unity to make a game at first but that was when i was a noob and it sucked. Don't use unity. If you are advanced enough just stick to visual studio. :D
Use what you have learned from chili like assigning textures and moving objects making enimes in the game. Make AI. Try re looking at the tutorials. Best of luck my friend :)

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » February 25th, 2015, 10:30 pm

Just think about all the different aspects of the game, You have all the sprites for the items, players, enemies. There's the backgrounds or rooms to design. The layout of the rooms in the world/level. The enemy actions/AI to design. Decide what itmes/power-ups you are going to have. How the entities will do damage. How much damage each weapon or projectile will cause. How much hp will each entity have. All that before you even need to write any code.

After all the designing, the coding should fall into place for the most part.
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

nackles

Post by nackles » February 26th, 2015, 1:20 am

Indeed it all should. the aspects should seem simple enough to make. It may not have the best graphics but as a beginner this sounds pretty "okayish" type of game to make. It's got everything chili taught us. :)

degines

Post by degines » February 26th, 2015, 6:50 pm

Thanks! what program should i use to make it or should i stick with ms visual 2010?

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » February 26th, 2015, 7:48 pm

It's all up to you, what ever you feel most comfortable with.

Gimp is pretty useful for image creation, it's like a free version of photoshop, but with a few less features.
Audacity is a free sound editor.
Starting off VS2010 is fine and will still create anything you want. The only reason to move up to vs2013 or something like that would be to use the new C++ commands, which are necessary, but useful. There are other IDE/Compilers out there, Visual Studio is just what most here are more familiar with, so if you have problems we'd be more likely to be able to help you if there were problems.
If you plan on porting to Mac or something, I believe Visual Studio could still be used, you would just need to get the SDK for mac's or even linux if you plan on porting to linux.
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

nackles

Post by nackles » February 26th, 2015, 10:18 pm

You finna start using visual studio 2013. Best one i have ever used. i totally recommend it.
MSpaint is good for very simple pixel sprites. Try experimenting with different ideas. :)

angrygamertv

Post by angrygamertv » February 27th, 2015, 1:36 am

As far as code goes, if you are up into the intermediate series of Chili's tutorials, it should be fairly easy, AI is simple for a game like this, the thing that would take a bit of time is graphics.

To give you some perspective:
I am in intermediate series of Chili's tutorials, and I know coding logic based on my past with AS3, I could pull this off with ugly graphics in a week.