Am I an idiot if

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
Hambone

Am I an idiot if

Post by Hambone » July 1st, 2014, 1:34 am

Am I an idiot if I was unable to figure out how to do the pixel pattern at the end of lesson 9?

I tried different things and came up with some interesting patterns but nothing close to what chili had.

I wonder if I am not smart enough for this... ha

Next time, when I see circles I need to think trig.

Hambone
Hambone

PutPixel255

Re: Am I an idiot if

Post by PutPixel255 » July 1st, 2014, 3:00 am

Been a while since I worked on that one. Sure trig or other formulas. Maybe make up some formulas from a pretend universe to see what happens. Politicians do it all the time.

Hambone

Post by Hambone » July 1st, 2014, 3:07 am

so I am okay, I am not too stupid for this? ha
Hambone

PutPixel255

Post by PutPixel255 » July 1st, 2014, 3:12 am

Just make sure to learn your C as well as you can and if you know it all pretend like you don't and go and learn it.

Hambone

Post by Hambone » July 1st, 2014, 3:13 am

i.i.
Hambone

retsasid

Post by retsasid » July 1st, 2014, 4:33 am

keep at it, these things take time to click and sometimes its just repetition. also, try and hit the subject from different directions. check out some of the online reference sites like cplusplus.com and learncpp.com in addition to chili's tutorials.

Hambone

Post by Hambone » July 1st, 2014, 5:02 am

thanks for the tip!
Hambone

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » July 1st, 2014, 9:05 am

Hambone wrote:Am I an idiot?
Insufficient data to conclude one way or the other. :lol:

Seriously though, geometry is one of those subjects where people often think "I'm never gonna use this shit for anything practical" when they're learning it in school. And they're usually right. It just so happens that game programming is one of the exceptions to that tendency.

Just because you didn't make a mathematical connection doesn't necessarily mean you're dumb, it could just mean that you're not up on that aspect of mathematics. It doesn't really say that much about your potential as a programmer.

On a related note, I find that once you have a practical motivation to figure out some math stuff, it becomes a lot easier to get into. Some find that they actually like it, strangely enough. ;)

And if you're just not cut out for geometrical thinking, that doesn't mean you have to give up on programming or even game making. It just limits your options somewhat.
Chili

Hambone

Post by Hambone » July 1st, 2014, 6:35 pm

chili wrote:

And if you're just not cut out for geometrical thinking, that doesn't mean you have to give up on programming or even game making. It just limits your options somewhat.
hmm I do not like the idea of limited options. I want to have all options. So I guess I will just never give up!
Hambone

GreatJake

Post by GreatJake » July 1st, 2014, 7:05 pm

I had no idea what i was doing during that lesson. I just messed around with numbers and saw what happened. If your not in a rush don't force yourself to learn it. Just have fun and it begins to sink in after a while with little effort :D