[UPDATE] AVRO 0.2.9 - The Jet Fighter Game. TheToddfather

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
thetoddfather

[UPDATE] AVRO 0.2.9 - The Jet Fighter Game. TheToddfather

Post by thetoddfather » November 11th, 2013, 1:27 am

Jet Fighter Game:

This game's most recent versions will be available at:
http://forum.planetchili.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4356

Keys are:
Left/Right Arrow keys = pull back/forward on the stick.
Up/Down Arrow Keys = Roll Plane.
Control = Toggle Current Weapon.
Space = Use Current Weapon (When not near the base)
A = Increase Thrust / Engage Afterburner when Thrust is at 100%.
Z = Decrease Thrust / Disengage Afterburner if it is active.
G = Raise/Lower Landing Gear.
Enter = Toggle Fullscreen Mode.
Esc = Quit.

MISSION ONE: TAKE OFF, ENGAGE ENEMY (ONE SCREEN RIGHT), DESTROY ALL CONVOY TRUCKS, RETURN TO BASE, LAND.

REWARD: Money to use toward plane upgrades.

Known bugs are:
Airspeed indicator is wrong.
The stall at the top of the screen glitches out sometimes.

Enjoy! And feedback would be appreciated! It's too damn quiet on these forums these days.
[UPDATE] v.0.2.9:
Changes:
- Bug Fixes.
[UPDATE] v.0.2.8d:
Changes:
- Sunset view added.
- Fully functioning menus and mission select.
- Save and Load Game functions.
- Story and Mission 1 completed.
- Mission 1 can repeat to allow upgrading your plane.
[UPDATE] v.0.2.6:
Changes:
- Added Arrow directing you to objective.
[UPDATE] v.0.2.5:
Changes:
- Plane upgrades added.
- Earn money and use it to buy upgrades between missions.
[UPDATE] v.0.2.2:
Changes:
- New Graphics.
- Plane now gets substantial Upgrades with mission accomplished.
- Upgrades stack
- Splash Screen Added
[UPDATE] v.0.1.8:
Changes:
- Complete graphics rewrite.
- Added frames per second info.
- Takeoff/Landing with airport/landing gear graphics.
- Landing reloads weapons allowing multiple runs on enemies.
- 'G' raises and lowers gear.
- Jet flies differently with gear down.
- You can now fly one screen to the right (Away from Base) to engage enemies. Then return to base by flying one screen left.
[UPDATE] v.0.1.6-CB:
Changes:
- Just a quick tiny update. Little more fun showing a completely updated radar/avionics. Makes for that added little touch with high altitude bombing.
[UPDATE] v.0.1.6-CB:
Changes:
- Changes to Radar showing how enemies will show up when you've earned cash and upgraded avionics.
- Whole ton o' bombs in yer crate to carpet bomb the enemy and play.
- Gives you the chance to hear how the sound of a bomb detonation at high altitude differs from low altitude.
[UPDATE] v.0.1.6:
Changes:
- Implemented an image scaling algorithm to save space on graphics.
- Backround image is scaled 3X now.
- Foreground terrain 2X.
[UPDATE] v.0.1.5:
Changes:
- FIXED Main Ground Layer (Parallax) not functioning as ground layer, (was a foreground layer)
- Added: Sfx for bullet collision, bombs(drop, detonate from high&low altitude)
- Added: Gfx for Military Transport (Animated), Explosion Aimation, M117Bomb, crappy Early 'scorch-mark' where bombs detonate.
- Gameplay: Can Drop bombs. Collision detection for bullets/bombs., vehicle HP, (most of first mission complete)
- Added button CONTROL for toggle between weapons.
- Misc: Various other game fixes.
[UPDATE] v.0.1.2:
Changes:
- First Parallax Terrain Layer working.
- Shadow (with scaling).
- Scale is now fixed/Rotate is up/down arrows again.
- Music/feel and atmosphere more reflect what the final goal for the game is.
[UPDATE] v.0.1.1:
Changes:
- Guns Enabled.
- Scaling Implemented (Needs Banking Animation)
- Keyboard Inputs Changed.
- Some bug fixes and Optimization.
Attachments
Avro 0.2.9.rar
Mission One.
(8.38 MiB) Downloaded 239 times
Avro 0.1.8.rar
(6.57 MiB) Downloaded 350 times
Last edited by thetoddfather on April 10th, 2018, 8:14 pm, edited 27 times in total.

bobloblaw

Re: Avro Demo - Jet Fighter Fun!

Post by bobloblaw » November 11th, 2013, 4:31 am

Just played the game and as always fun concept. Not sure if you plan on having the player be in control of the planes speed, but if you connected the up and down arrows to forward propulsion you can start the game on the ground and be able to take off, half the fun and danger of a plane is the takeoff and landing!

Right now the up and down arrows switch the plane from right side up to upside down a little unrealistically.

It'd be nice to have missile lock on ability as well as machine guns like SleviKelevra's tank game, but you'd have to figure out the lock on part as the tank game doesn't implement that. Could use it as a bit of reference though.

Right now the background grid is a little dizzying but I realize as with all my comments this is a work in progress.

Keep up the good work, and thanks for sharing as always.

-Bob'o
Here for your Artistic needs, Pixel or Vector I love it all. Check it out - Click Me

thetoddfather

Post by thetoddfather » November 11th, 2013, 6:05 am

Hey bob,
Yah, currently the controls are simulating an old game I used to play as a kid called Sopwith.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sopwith_(video_game)

I'm not sure in the long run how the controls will be. Just wanted to make something similar to sopwith and see if I wanted to continue on with the project. The background is only there to give you some sense of movement since I have no background or foreground art in the game yet. The roll plane has no animation at this time unfortunately, so ya, it doesn't work great. Just flips you and that's that.

Take off and landing may be part of the future, but I'd like to get some weapons in there. First some background and foreground art. LOTS to do. Ideally I'd love to have destructible terrain, but no clue how I'd do that unless I used putpixel for my terrain, which would be a tall order. Then, guns, missles and regular bombs will be the next step ( and a big one ). Lock on will be part of missles, and fairly easy to put in. Then maybe an enemy aircraft or two. AI will be tricky on this one. Some ground targets may be easier to start. Something to drop bombs on. We'll see. It was a surprising amount of work to even get this far. So dunno if I'll ever finish it.
Last edited by thetoddfather on March 22nd, 2018, 8:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

bobloblaw

Post by bobloblaw » November 11th, 2013, 12:37 pm

Well it would be a lot of work but you could build your buildings in small square portions so depending on which square was hit you could degrade each square independently. Or more simply you could create larger images with degrading hit values like this...
airPlaneHanger.png
airPlaneHanger.png (24.1 KiB) Viewed 6738 times
Just a simple airplane hanger I whipped up to get the point across. Terrain could work the same way.
-Bob'o
a.k.a
Logan Courter
Here for your Artistic needs, Pixel or Vector I love it all. Check it out - Click Me

LuX

Post by LuX » November 11th, 2013, 1:44 pm

Haha I was kinda lost in game and was unsure at what I was supposed to do so I flew full speed into the ground and started laughing for some reason...

The controls are nice, I would however like the camera to stick at the back of the plane so you would see more overhead.
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » November 11th, 2013, 3:12 pm

It's a good start, I agree with lux the camera should follow the plane with plane more in center I think. As it is wouldn't be able to target anyone ahead of you.
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

thetoddfather

Post by thetoddfather » November 11th, 2013, 7:35 pm

Logan, that's one route. Most likely the buildings will be either 100% or 0% with a direct bomb or missile strike taking them out completely and guns taking awhile before reducing a building to rubble. The kind of destructible terrain I was thinking of was more like Worms or another game I loved as a kid called Scorch aka Scorched Earth, if you ever played that. But I can't think of how I could do that unless I used putpixel. Perhaps have the terrain have an alpha channel and with each strike a circle of the image would be alpha'd out? Not sure how you'd handle collision for this though. Hmmmmmm, thanks for the input though and keep it coming!!

Lux, I laughed for some reason imagining you bursting out laughing after slamming into the false ground. Yup, the camera is actually on my next to do list. My first goal was just to have a world you could freely fly around in, then start chipping away at gameplay. The plane will definitely sit about 20-30% back from the edge of the screen (left if you're heading right & right if you're heading left), and up/down being more or less centered. I may change the percentage depending on your airspeed too. Dunno. Glad you like the controls. Input on this is important to me cause I do like the controls, I just think they take getting used to, but I'm not opposed to changing them to be sort of classic style like bob'o said either. We'll see, but thanks for the input.

Albinopapa, thanks man. Appreciate the positive vote! As I said to Lux, most defs on the to do list. Was just happy I got it up to even this point and figured I'd share, but ya, it would be pretty much unplayable without changes to the camera lol.

thetoddfather

Post by thetoddfather » November 17th, 2013, 11:03 pm

Basically a complete rewrite of the demo up and to the point it was previously at; however, it is now using one cell/frame for its graphic. The plane now uses real-time, in-game sprite rotation and I just inverted the graphic for the inverted plane. So now one graphic does it all and the only animation used is the fire out the back. Got oh so tired of creating sprite sheets, so I just grinded it out and got rotation working finally.

Quite pleased with the result actually.

You can now also choose between a couple different handling abilities just for a little extra fun. Finally, on to new things! But thought I'd share.
Attachments
Avro 0.1.zip
(6.17 MiB) Downloaded 279 times

thetoddfather

Re: Avro 0.1.1 - Jet Fighter Game. Sprite Rotation/Scaling.

Post by thetoddfather » November 27th, 2013, 10:08 pm

New version up. Not massive changes yet. Incrementally working at a solid foundation to build on. Hope you like!

chili
Site Admin

Re: Avro 0.1.1 - Jet Fighter Game. Sprite Rotation/Scaling.

Post by chili » November 30th, 2013, 2:55 am

Nice work on the rotation and scaling. If you have a good understanding of the algorithms for those transformations, 3D transformations aren't a far jump at all. Can your code handle scaling > than 1x?
Chili