Who's up for a group challenge?

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
LuisR14

Re: Who's up for a group challenge?

Post by LuisR14 » September 16th, 2013, 10:09 am

one thing i'd like to try is to create the background musics for the game :) (tho i won't promise that i'll have anything done :P)
also any code that will be uploaded i'll just download and merge with what i have :P
always available, always on, about ~10 years c/c++, java[script], win32/directx api, [x]html/css/php/some asp/sql experience. (all self taught)
Knows English, Spanish and Japanese.
[url=irc://irc.freenode.net/#pchili]irc://irc.freenode.net/#pchili[/url] [url=irc://luisr14.no-ip.org/#pchili]alt[/url] -- join up if ever want real-time help or to just chat :mrgreen: --

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » September 16th, 2013, 11:33 am

If you guys want me to install some kind of source control server software, you're gonna have to pick a solution first. I have no idea about these things so you're on your own though. ;)
Chili

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » September 16th, 2013, 3:01 pm

Luis I'm going to defer judgment to you. I have no clue what I'm looking for. I came across GitLab but am not sure if it's what would work or how it all works.
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

Conflictus

Post by Conflictus » September 16th, 2013, 8:13 pm

I found some more SFX, but i'm not sure yet if i'll be including them. It claims they're free and can be used in games, but I don't like the way the EULA was written. Specifically the portion that states:

"You can not give the sound effects or music tracks to any other person. They must not be added to any file sharing networks, give-away promotions, free give-aways or shared in any manner. You can not sell, rent, loan, lease, sub-license or make the sound effects or music tracks available to any other person."

Although, that may only apply to sharing the sound files by themselves as another part of the agreement seems to indicate.

"You can not use our sound effects in isolation. They must be mixed into other audio/visual elements in your project."

I don't think i'd be able to upload the files on the forum here without violating the agreement. At least not without being part of the game. I assume i'd be able to provide links to the site to show which audio files i'm considering so we could get some feedback on which ones we like or don't like. They'll also, of course, want credit for any sounds we may want to include.

The ones I uploaded earlier fall under either public domain or creative commons. We should be able to use those any way we want. The ones provided under creative commons just require giving credit to the people that made them.

nG Inverse

Post by nG Inverse » September 16th, 2013, 11:20 pm

If you don't know how to use GitHub by the introduction videos and tutorials on the site, read through this: http://lifehacker.com/5983680/how-the-h ... use-github

It is a bit complicated to get use to at first, but afterwards it is great. GitHub is actually the best solution we found to work on our projects (both at work and hobby projects among friends).

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » September 17th, 2013, 1:08 am

I've seen a youtube video or two that explains how to use it pretty well, I think the concern was people not wanting to sign up for GitHub that may not ever use it again after the project or only use it once or twice during the project, it may deter some, then again only those that are serious about contributing may actually take the time to register.
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

nG Inverse

Post by nG Inverse » September 17th, 2013, 2:07 am

albinopapa wrote:I've seen a youtube video or two that explains how to use it pretty well, I think the concern was people not wanting to sign up for GitHub that may not ever use it again after the project or only use it once or twice during the project, it may deter some, then again only those that are serious about contributing may actually take the time to register.
In my opinion taking the extra 5 minutes to sign up and set everything else is well worth it - in contrast to the numerous hours you will spend trying to manage each version yourself.

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » September 17th, 2013, 4:52 am

You might be right.

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » September 17th, 2013, 6:51 pm

https://github.com/albinopapa/Chili_for ... e?source=c

We can see how this goes. I don't know how to add members to the project yet, so we'll have to experiment.

If anyone doesn't want to sign up for a GitHub account, but still wants to participate just post to this thread and either Luis or I will merge your work with the repository.

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » September 17th, 2013, 7:01 pm

Conflictus wrote:I found some more SFX, but i'm not sure yet if i'll be including them. It claims they're free and can be used in games, but I don't like the way the EULA was written. Specifically the portion that states:

"You can not give the sound effects or music tracks to any other person. They must not be added to any file sharing networks, give-away promotions, free give-aways or shared in any manner. You can not sell, rent, loan, lease, sub-license or make the sound effects or music tracks available to any other person."

Although, that may only apply to sharing the sound files by themselves as another part of the agreement seems to indicate.

"You can not use our sound effects in isolation. They must be mixed into other audio/visual elements in your project."

I don't think i'd be able to upload the files on the forum here without violating the agreement. At least not without being part of the game. I assume i'd be able to provide links to the site to show which audio files i'm considering so we could get some feedback on which ones we like or don't like. They'll also, of course, want credit for any sounds we may want to include.

The ones I uploaded earlier fall under either public domain or creative commons. We should be able to use those any way we want. The ones provided under creative commons just require giving credit to the people that made them.

I bet you're right in that you would not be able to openly post to a forum, but if I believe in order to be a part of a project as it is expressing you might be able to upload to the repository as it will be a part of the project then, fulfilling the requirements. Just create a text file with the necessary credits and upload with the sound files.