Who's up for a group challenge?

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
LuisR14

Re: Who's up for a group challenge?

Post by LuisR14 » September 12th, 2013, 10:19 am

why did you use winmm joy functions instead of DInput? :P, i could setup a dinput section if nobody knows how to :)
also what about us keyb only ppl :P, i currently don't have a working joy (but i've setup joy code without my old joy anyways xP)

so anyways, what would be the preferred maintenance method? :)
using a repo, in the forum or even maybe a dedicated server/web site? (tho i don't have money for that lol)
always available, always on, about ~10 years c/c++, java[script], win32/directx api, [x]html/css/php/some asp/sql experience. (all self taught)
Knows English, Spanish and Japanese.
[url=irc://irc.freenode.net/#pchili]irc://irc.freenode.net/#pchili[/url] [url=irc://luisr14.no-ip.org/#pchili]alt[/url] -- join up if ever want real-time help or to just chat :mrgreen: --

SpaceAnimation

Post by SpaceAnimation » September 12th, 2013, 11:02 am

@albinopapa i'm thinking just in direction of travel.
Spacey :geek:

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » September 12th, 2013, 10:13 pm

How do you all want to deal with the enemy responses? Do you want them to have a set pattern, different for each enemy type of course? Better put how do you want them to behave?
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » September 12th, 2013, 10:25 pm

@Luis - That was the easiest way to add joystick support. I have looked up DInput several times and have been blown away at how complicated everything seems to be where DX is concerned. I have no objections with adding DInput for input methods, it was just so much easier this way. I have added a check for a joystick in the framework. If there is no joystick plugged in it will automatically use the WASD keys to move, these can be changed to whatever and when a menu is created we can have button/key assignments as well as input choices.

As far as how to store the project, I think with all the posts in this thread any uploads will get buried. We could use a repository, we could make a thread that is strictly project uploads, I have a dropbox account (cameron and I used it, it seemed to work well), as long as people followed the same rule of trimming the fat from their projects before uploading or just uploading the .cpp/.h files they work on we shouldn't need a lot of space - this method is only effective if used as a copy and not everyone using it as the base project, I mean keep a local copy to work on then copy source files to the dropbox folder.
Attachments
Shooter 09-12-2013.zip
Added keyboard and ship drawing.
(40.72 KiB) Downloaded 179 times
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

LuisR14

Post by LuisR14 » September 13th, 2013, 2:08 am

albinopapa wrote:I have looked up DInput several times and have been blown away at how complicated everything seems to be where DX is concerned ... I have no objections with adding DInput for input methods, it was just so much easier this way.
heh, funny, when i had first started coding dinput it wasn't very hard for me o-o, meh, i'll create it anyways i guess :P
albinopapa wrote:As far as how to store the project, I think with all the posts in this thread any uploads will get buried. We could use a repository, we could make a thread that is strictly project uploads, I have a dropbox account (cameron and I used it) ... - this method is only effective if used as a copy and not everyone using it as the base project, I mean keep a local copy to work on then copy source files to the dropbox folder.
hm yea, repo would be the better option i guess lol (and well i don't have a dropbox xP), also it would have a better "current code" control. we could even just go with google code (since everybody here would have a google account already with their youtube :P)

now all that would be left is to choose what type of repo to use: git or mercurial(hg) (and well i'm fine with svn as well but beats me why ppl prefer to leave svn behind :P)

EDIT:
also i would need to know if the repo name would use the projects' name :P (and the one to create the repo would be the owner and ultimate admin lolol)
(... man i need a working gamepad to finish coding the dinput portion :/)

EDIT2:
and also the repo requires a code license, meaning the gnu gpl kind of stuff, in each code file that is created xP
and i've added some code but not uploading since i believe to be better to create repo already lol
always available, always on, about ~10 years c/c++, java[script], win32/directx api, [x]html/css/php/some asp/sql experience. (all self taught)
[url=irc://irc.freenode.net/#pchili]irc://irc.freenode.net/#pchili[/url] [url=irc://luisr14.no-ip.org/#pchili]alt[/url] -- join up if ever want real-time help or to just chat :mrgreen: --

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » September 13th, 2013, 2:27 pm

If you guys want to run the source control on a private server rather than using github or whatever, let me know and I'll install something on this hunk-of-junk. ;)
Chili

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » September 13th, 2013, 2:43 pm

chili wrote:If you guys want to run the source control on a private server rather than using github or whatever, let me know and I'll install something on this hunk-of-junk. ;)

I definitely like the idea of keeping it close to the forums for a big reason. It would be much simpler since we all already come here, seems to be on a daily basis. If it's not too much trouble chili I vote yes to whatever your suggesting.

LuisR14

Post by LuisR14 » September 13th, 2013, 4:52 pm

yea that'd be the best choice chili :D, pretty much what i would've chosen to do :P (repo option being the 2nd choice lol)

Conflictus

Post by Conflictus » September 13th, 2013, 8:36 pm

I started collecting some sound effects that we might consider. Mostly intended for the default weapon and menu navigation so far.
Attachments
effects.zip
(34.59 KiB) Downloaded 171 times

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » September 16th, 2013, 3:40 am

Thank you conflictus for the SFX.