Who's up for a group challenge?

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
woLf

Re: Who's up for a group challenge?

Post by woLf » September 11th, 2013, 4:46 pm

I want to join. =) Pm me if there are 'empty place' for me

paapcity

Post by paapcity » September 11th, 2013, 5:11 pm

Its open for everyone that want to contribute to the game wolf.
asfaik we can use all the help there is :D

Nosferatu

Post by Nosferatu » September 11th, 2013, 7:56 pm

Well, I'm not really into making up all the stuff you mentioned like shields, power-ups and so on( designing :D ), but if there would be something more specific to code I'm more than eager to help. :)

Conflictus

Post by Conflictus » September 11th, 2013, 10:34 pm

I'm in favor of using geometric shapes. 32x32 looks good for the player and general enemy types, however, if we were to include bosses we might want them to be a bit larger.

I adjusted my resolution to 1024x768 and used ms-paint to display an empty canvas size of 128x128 pixels for the box above and 32x32 pixels for the box below. Inside the 32x32 box I created 3 'bullets' to compare the sizes of 8x8,6x6, and 4x4. There looks to be a sizable amount of the screen remaining to maneuver around.

Do we want infinite ammo for weapons that aren't explosive?
Attachments
scale.png
(926.15 KiB) Downloaded 76 times

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » September 12th, 2013, 2:47 am

If scrolling through a level, do we want to be able to shoot in any direction or just parallel to the direction of scroll?

Vertical scrolling down -> vehicle shoots upward
Vertical scrolling up -> vehicle shoots downward
Horizontal scrolling left -> vehicle shoots right
Horizontal scrolling right -> vehicle shoots left

or would you like to have a turret that can shoot in any direction.
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » September 12th, 2013, 3:05 am

@wolf
This is an open project, whether you contribute to the project or not is completely up to you. If you have read the 5 other pages you might have already picked up what type of game we are planning to do for the first project.

To summarize though:
Type of game is a shooter.
It's likely we will have power-ups
It's likely we will have a shield
Enemies of different types can drop power-ups or power-up extenders
We'll use shapes to represent the player and enemies
Vertical scrolling from top down
Last edited by albinopapa on September 12th, 2013, 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you think paging some data from disk into RAM is slow, try paging it into a simian cerebrum over a pair of optical nerves. - gameprogrammingpatterns.com

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » September 12th, 2013, 3:20 am

I don't have much done, have been a bit scatter brained past couple of days. Hopefully, this will be a good start for the project. Right now all it does is display a transparent blue disc and if you have a joystick or gamepad with a joystic you can control the disk.
Attachments
Shooter.zip
Start of framework
(38.35 KiB) Downloaded 185 times

Conflictus

Post by Conflictus » September 12th, 2013, 4:00 am

I'm assuming this was created with Visual Studio 2012. I can get it to compile if I change the platform toolset, but then it only presents me with a black screen and doesn't draw the character. I'll start using the newer version of visual studio so i'm on the same page as everyone else. :D

albinopapa

Post by albinopapa » September 12th, 2013, 5:39 am

Conflictus wrote:I'm assuming this was created with Visual Studio 2012. I can get it to compile if I change the platform toolset, but then it only presents me with a black screen and doesn't draw the character. I'll start using the newer version of visual studio so i'm on the same page as everyone else. :D
Sorry I didn't think about that when I uploaded it. Yeah, I am using VS 2012. The fact you are getting an all black screen could mean you don't have a joystick attached. I will fix that by Friday as well as have more stuff added.

I'm trying to keep from coding everything, I just want to get classes and functions declarations in so that when it comes time we can just write the function definitions. Also, I think having a framework will keep things consistent since we are going to have several people writing code and each person has their own style of coding. I need to do a better job adding comments so people know what the functions are suppose to do.

Conflictus

Post by Conflictus » September 12th, 2013, 5:56 am

I just finished messing around a bit with VS2012 a few min ago. At first I was still getting the same black screen as before, but after reading your post I decided to try out my usb xbox 360 controller and it now works as intended. I'm seeing the blue ball moving around the screen. Thanks for the tip and nice work. :D