[UPDATE] Crap Out!! Dice Game. MP3 SUPPORT!! [v1.1.7]

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
thetoddfather

Re: [UPDATE] Crap Out!! Dice Game. MP3 SUPPORT!! [v1.1.7]

Post by thetoddfather » November 4th, 2013, 10:53 pm

FULL MP3 Support :)

All versions now include Background Music! See first post for details and download.

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » November 5th, 2013, 7:22 am

Sweet! What did you use for playing the mp3 files? MCI?

As for networking, depending on how you set up your base code, it shouldn't be too painful to integrate. It depends on how badly your UI code is entangled in your model code. If they're nicely decoupled you could just bolt on a simple networking solution.

In the way I would do it, the nuts and bolts of the networking part will require you to setup a basic winsock connection and to spawn and manage a thread. You'll also need mutex locks to smooth data sharing between your networking thread and your game thread.

Check out this stuff from Microsoft for a very basic winsock client and server.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... s.85).aspx
Chili

thetoddfather

Post by thetoddfather » November 5th, 2013, 6:55 pm

I'm not sure what MCI is. Your stubbornness for any kind of 3rd party stuff has worn off on me though. No library. It's straight pretty much straight Windows API. It took some modifications to get it running smoothly in the framework, but she is. Takes the mp3 converts it to pcm and plays it. The only thing I can't get running right is running more than one sound at a time (sfx), so I'll just use it exclusively with the bgm and use your dx sound for sfx.

Ok, sounds good. I'll have a look. I'd like to keep it a simple option for now probably while I learn. Any other books or tuts you can recommend for a very simple two computer connection that's stable and passes very little data would be great. I think I'll start small and maybe if I catch on build it up to some kind of lobby type connection so you could have more than 2 players.

bonjovifan

Post by bonjovifan » December 13th, 2013, 7:22 am

Confusing game haha. Very well put together though :)

thetoddfather

Post by thetoddfather » December 19th, 2013, 5:11 pm

Yah, I would like to put together a quick tutorial for this game at some point in the near future so more people can pick it up quick. It is a fun game once you get it.