[UPDATE] Crap Out!! Dice Game. MP3 SUPPORT!! [v1.1.7]

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
thetoddfather

[UPDATE] Crap Out!! Dice Game. MP3 SUPPORT!! [v1.1.7]

Post by thetoddfather » February 7th, 2013, 8:55 pm

So here's my new game so far. It's up and running and is working pretty nicely so I thought I'd post it. Nothing fancy here as far as graphics and such goes. Wanted to make this more for myself. I love this game and play it as often as I get with friends (Good drinking game). So I decided in the absence of new stuff from the chili, and a pretty much from scratch re-write of the engine for practice and such, I would make this game in tribute to a little known but awesome game of dice.

I wrote out the rules. Should be pretty clear after a few rounds how to play.

[EDIT] Updated version to 1.1.2. The game now includes stats so you can see your career games played, wins, losses and highest ever roll. It also keeps track of the stats for the computer as well. Secondly, there is now a new second level AI that is more intelligent than the old one. The old AI is die 1, the new more intelligent one is die two when asked for AI level. You can mix and match AIs so have one AI at level one and one AI at CPU 2 and it will keep separate stats for CPU 1 and CPU 2 (NEW AI). There are also a couple new things in the options menu to play with. You can now watch the AI go head to head with itself as well.

[Update 1.1.4] Fixed a few bugs in AI. Randomized who starts first each game. Fixed a few game crashing bugs. Options now save so you don't need to set them every time. Stats are the same so if you want to keep them just drop the new exe into the old folder.

[UPDATE 1.1.5]Few bug fixes and refinements. Fixed glitch in games played and win % calculation.

[UPDATE 1.1.7]Major update! Got sick of the background music being so large I couldn't put it on here, so I implemented full mp3 support! Version now includes background music. You can turn BGM off in the options menu. If you want to change the bgm, just plop a mp3 into the files directory and rename it bgm.mp3. 16-bit 128bps 44100 is the only supported audio at this time. Added in some new sfx as well.

If your mp3 doesn't work, go here:
http://www.freemake.com/free_audio_converter/

Convert your mp3 to 44100 128bps, drop the converted mp3 into the Files folder and it'll work fine.
You can convert pretty much any audio file to this format using this free software.

TheToddfather.
Attachments
CrapOut 1.1.7.zip
(4.18 MiB) Downloaded 322 times
Last edited by thetoddfather on November 5th, 2013, 12:22 am, edited 18 times in total.

Conflictus

Re: Crap Out!! My new Dice Game. [v1.0.3]

Post by Conflictus » February 8th, 2013, 3:57 am

Interesting game. I've managed to piggyback up to 2100 so far. :D

Clodi

Post by Clodi » February 8th, 2013, 4:36 pm

nice one!!
how do you manage to have your own sprite on the top left-hand corner of the window instead?

thetoddfather

Post by thetoddfather » February 8th, 2013, 5:04 pm

Thanks guys!

Conflictus, I was playing with my dad and he rolled all six die counters four times in a row for a total score of somewhere around 4500. So, he rolled five times in all, four of which were instant re-rolls of all six dice! It was insane. I think the highest running piggyback I've seen playing it was around 5000.

Clodi, Thanks!! It is done by editing the resource file. Basically you need to create your own resources and use them instead of chili's resources. There are two, a 32 pixel icon and a 16 pixel icon. One is for the window and the other is for the task bar at the bottom of the screen. Basically, get a resource editor, create your own resources and use those resource files instead of the one Chili has for his framework.

Clodi

Re: Crap Out!! My new Dice Game. [v1.0.6]

Post by Clodi » February 9th, 2013, 12:24 pm

thank you so much mate.
I am very slow and retarded, that is why, after 5 months I am still at lesson 20/21. But I am making sure I understand every step and I am doing this along with my uni course so.. this summer I ll finally set my hands on the framework and make my own.. looking forward to that.

Btw, yours pretty amazing, your game is good and the AI is something I am very interested in. At some point I ll look more in depth into your code to learn something :)

thetoddfather

Post by thetoddfather » February 9th, 2013, 7:07 pm

Thanks so much Clodi!

I am actually really happy with how the AI has turned out. It was making some dumb mistakes a few versions ago, but I spent a long time widdling it down to a somewhat intelligent thinker. My goal was to make it appear somewhat organic in its decision making. Although i still want to make some changes like its absolute love of three of a kind. He will always take three of a kind if he is able. And I want to make him weigh his options a little more. Like when he has three twos and two ones, take the one instead of losing three dice.

But overall I'm very happy with the AI and the game as a whole. Nothing crazy fancy, but probably my first somewhat complete and fully functioning game. Thanks so much for the comments!!

LuX

Post by LuX » February 11th, 2013, 3:34 pm

The AI seems pretty good. Took some time to understand how I play this and I don't think I still can... haha. Nice work anyway.
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ

thetoddfather

Post by thetoddfather » February 11th, 2013, 9:23 pm

Hahahaha, it has been suggested I should make a tutorial for it lol. I'm glad you liked it though Lux! It is actually a pretty sweet game once you figure it out, but as with anything, it's always better with some humans to play. Too bad I know absolutely zero about networking or I'd add in some multiplayer online support!

natox1986

Post by natox1986 » February 11th, 2013, 9:46 pm

Clodi wrote:thank you so much mate.
I am very slow and retarded, that is why, after 5 months I am still at lesson 20/21. But I am making sure I understand every step and I am doing this along with my uni course so.. this summer I ll finally set my hands on the framework and make my own.. looking forward to that.

Btw, yours pretty amazing, your game is good and the AI is something I am very interested in. At some point I ll look more in depth into your code to learn something :)
You my friend, are neither dumb, slow or retarted... comprehending, learning and mastering a programming language takes time.... alot of time. Even for those who are really smart.
Be patient and you'll get there eventually... even if it takes years to comprehend the basic level... as long as you enjoy it, it's totally worth it!

You know, even if you master the syntax of every piece of code ( which takes alot of time ), you still have to come up with ideas and solutions to actually create the dynamics in your program(s).
That also comes with experience... and the experience is only mastered by asking, learning and trying ( and some code stealing 8-) )...

I know, I have the same ideas as you sometimes, like... I'm not stupid, so why am I progressing slower than others down here? Am I not smart enough? Am I slow? NO, I'm not!
Just don't compare your progress with others, instead, be glad when some are further along down the road than you, so you actually have a convenient source of information whenever you need it.

8-) ... so take your time, your OWN time.... and most of all, ENJOY!

...pfu, motivational speech down here! Sorry, I recognized myself in your reply, so I had to throw this out! :lol:

thetoddfather

Post by thetoddfather » February 11th, 2013, 11:43 pm

natox1986, so very true. This forum is full of names that probably got all excited and then felt defeated because something was challenging, and then quit. This game is pretty modest, but I'm proud of it cause it is pretty much bug free and COMPLETE. It works. Simple, but it's my first real game that has pretty much all the workings of a complete game. It wasn't easy. Lots of challenges. Relied on some old tricks and tools from incomplete games, and here it is for anyone to enjoy (although I'm sure only a few will). But I play this with my son and dad, and even kick up the odd game with the CPU alone sometimes.

So, yah, I personally think it's a bad idea to compare yourself, or expect yourself, to be at the level of everyone on here. There's peeps on here that could whip this game of mine up in less than a day. Took me over a week. Just find some little idea that you'll enjoy making and run with it. If you love it enough, you'll finish it. If you don't, you'll come out with some new knowledge and tools for the next idea.