RPGame 1.0

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
Conflictus

RPGame 1.0

Post by Conflictus » January 24th, 2013, 8:14 am

This is what i've got so far. Sorry there isn't much to it yet. I'm having trouble figuring out how to create an additional sprite instance. What i'm aiming for is to load other sprites from different file locations. Mostly for organization, but also because i've got other sprites with differing dimensions.

The walking animation handles every direction in a single sequence and I wasn't sure how to use frameDuration for only a portion of the sequence so I got rid of it and replaced it with Sleep().

I haven't done much programming so any advice at all would be much appreciated. :D
Attachments
RPGame 1.0.zip
(67 KiB) Downloaded 387 times

natox1986

Re: RPGame 1.0

Post by natox1986 » January 24th, 2013, 4:11 pm

Looking good! Graphics are epic...did you make them yourself or did you use existing sprites?

Walking goes rather slow, you might want to turn it up a notch.
As soon as I walk near the southern wall and stand still, it does not want to move anymore.
It's stuck at that position.

Other than that, I'm not that pro at programming myself yet, so I won't be able to help you with your current issues.

Cheers!

Conflictus

Post by Conflictus » January 24th, 2013, 6:11 pm

I created the graphics although a friend helped me refine the character a bit. I started out drawing a silhouette in ms-paint and expanded from there.

The walls and floor tile were originally inspired from Final Fantasy 1 and another friend touched up the top part of the top and bottom walls.

I'd have to agree that the movement is a little slow. This will most likely get adjusted as I make more progress with the game.

I probably should have used the closed door graphic instead to make it a little more obvious that the character can't wander out of the room. Sorry about that.

Thanks for taking the time to check it out Natox. :D
Attachments
CG_Silhouette.png
CG_Silhouette.png (2.93 KiB) Viewed 3052 times
CG_Side_10.png
CG_Side_10.png (3.1 KiB) Viewed 3052 times
CG_refined.png
CG_refined.png (3.14 KiB) Viewed 3052 times

LuX

Post by LuX » January 24th, 2013, 6:20 pm

Looks cool.

Your code looks good, however...

An RPG will take a lot of time. What I mean is that they focus more on designing and less on coding so if you're still practicing I can only recommend starting with quicker-to-make games than begin on a project taking a lot of time and eventually being completely re-written.

I'm not putting you off completely. I could imagine some simple item chase game, shooter or other fighting game, from that design you have, to practice on.

I'm saying this from personal experience. At the beginning I spent almost 2 years on a simple RPG that was becoming pretty big but not close to complete. It was a pretty fun project but I gained no skills. Then I took up chili's lessons and made a lot of smaller projects and in just a couple of months became a lot better.
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ

Conflictus

Post by Conflictus » January 24th, 2013, 7:07 pm

yeah.. I tend to take on more than I can handle at times, so I suppose I should re-think my approach. I was happy to finally get some use out of my old graphics though. I was part of a team of 2 or 3 years back and I primarily worked on the graphics. We were generating all kinds of ideas and things were going really well for a while, but there was a falling out between our programmer and the other person doing graphics and the project eventually died.

The attachment is a sample of the work we did back then. Everything was 32x32 (although I think I cropped the image). This isn't a screenshot from a game or demo, however. I arranged the tiles within the tile editor we were using at the time to create the image. The characters, bone throne and fire around the inverted pentagram were all done by the other graphic artist.

At the very beginning we had everything done in Qbasic. The graphics were hard coded 16x16 tiles with 1 frame per direction for the character's movement.

I'm sure i'll get back to this project.. I always do, but for now I think i'll scale things down a bit and work on a smaller project. Thanks for the advice Lux. ;)
Attachments
13x9.png
13x9.png (10.83 KiB) Viewed 3044 times