My first game -- Spacey/Retro-ey Thingy

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
FranklinBluth

Re: My first game -- Spacey/Retro-ey Thingy

Post by FranklinBluth » January 15th, 2013, 4:53 am

Thanks for the awesome feedback, Toddfather! You make me feel all warm and gooey inside :D

I agree, those badguys MUST die I have finished drawing the first couple of sprites for their final explosion muahaha :twisted: ! Once that's done, the code will be simple to apply. Have no fear, they will soon die most spectacularly for you, my friend. And if I do implement a spread it would only be very very slight so it would only deviate by a maximum of 2 pixels by the end of the screen.

FranklinBluth

Post by FranklinBluth » January 23rd, 2013, 3:41 am

Whew, 1st week of classes was busier than I thought it would be. Anywhoo, I've updated the damage model to individually remove pixels as you shoot them (to a certain degree) and to dynamically trigger wing destruction when the wing-connector thingies are shot all the way through. The sprites are itty bitty so the destruction is best-viewed in fullscreen mode. The badguys are killable now :twisted: and it currently does not respawn new ships when you kill them. Most of the other additions are visual goodies. Next step is enemy AI and structuring waves.

Edit:

Oops, first attached file (0.0.1 (3) ) was wrong! Fixed now :)
Attachments
Chili DirectX Framework Space Game v0.1.2.zip
(127.29 KiB) Downloaded 185 times
Chili DirectX Framework Space Game v0.0.2 (3).zip
(130.55 KiB) Downloaded 187 times

thetoddfather

Post by thetoddfather » January 23rd, 2013, 5:34 am

Those are some impressive explosions and particle effects you've accomplished there. I love it. Much more satisfying although I am voting for sound next! I can almost hear those explosions.

I am getting an error if I play long enough. Breaks at something about your animated cockpits.

thetoddfather

Post by thetoddfather » January 23rd, 2013, 5:36 am

It is one of these lines:
AnimateDeadCockpitCCW( DeadCockpitX[BB], DeadCockpitY[BB]);
and it occurs when the dead cockpit hits borders so I am thinking it's a simple clipping issue

Conflictus

Post by Conflictus » January 23rd, 2013, 6:32 am

I really love the effects! I kinda wish the explosions would damage enemy ships (or perhaps even your own ship) when they're within range of the blast, but that's just personal preference. Keep up the good work. :D

FranklinBluth

Post by FranklinBluth » January 23rd, 2013, 3:55 pm

Thanks so much Todd! I definitely want to do sound but I'm currently working in Chili's older, non-SFX framework. Would changing frameworks be as simple as transferring the .h and .cpp files or is there more to the process?

And I believe you're right on the clipping bug, I hastily put the code together for the cockpit's boundary check so it's probably a wee bit defunct.

Related question(s):
Is there a convenient way to allow objects to gradually transition off/on-screen without causing a crash? I'm currently just planning on using a screen border since I'll need somewhere to put the score/health/lives info. Is there a way though to modify the put pixel call to only carry out its function if the x and y values fall within the range of the window? I'm currently just deleting objects as they touch the border but it's kind of unreliable and doesn't look that great.

Conflictus, you are an inspiration to me! That WILL be an implemented feature! I have plans to do a rudimentary combo system and your idea works perfectly with it :D

thetoddfather

Post by thetoddfather » January 23rd, 2013, 7:49 pm

My advice would be to carry on with chili's tuts. You're MORE than ready to move on. Both those issues are covered (sound, clipping). After which, you'll easily be able to impliment efficient changes to make things work a little more effectively for clipping and add in sound easily, and even back ground music with a couple small changes as well.

FranklinBluth

Post by FranklinBluth » January 23rd, 2013, 11:47 pm

Thanks as always, Todd, I think you're absolutely right. An additional point of interest is that I need to better learn how to better organize my code; currently everything is just vomited onto the game.h and game.cpp, but I'd like to have a better knowledge of how to divide things into different objects, classes, constructs, etc. and have it be neat and clean. It's getting to be a headache to work with in its current state :(

thetoddfather

Post by thetoddfather » January 24th, 2013, 4:36 pm

I hear that! But I personally, although biased cause it's how I learned, think you're learning in the best way. You've made a small game you should be proud of. Now take some time to add tools to your belt and ramp it up a little next time. Rinse and repeat. Personally, I lose interest unless I am working on a project that I enjoy that still challenges me to go a little further than my skill set.

LuX

Post by LuX » January 24th, 2013, 6:07 pm

Haha, damn that looks awesome!

I bet it took you a lot of time making the drawings.
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ