My first game -- Spacey/Retro-ey Thingy

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
FranklinBluth

My first game -- Spacey/Retro-ey Thingy

Post by FranklinBluth » January 13th, 2013, 8:15 pm

Hey all, started watching these lessons back in December while I was home from college and I got hooked. After watching lesson 13 my mind was asploding with ideas so I decided to start my first game/project/doohicky to see if I could execute some of these ideas I had with only stuff covered up to that point. Here's the result of this endeavor.

Disclaimer:

This was a learning/experimentation process and I'm aware how messy my code currently is. This is largely due to the fact that my excitement out-weighed my knowledge and experience (which is virtually zilch) and I often solved problems using the first method that came to my mind. That being said, please critique what I have if you feel so inclined, but do so in a way that won't make me cry ;)

Love you Chili, thanks for bein' so awesome!

<3 Franklin Bluth
Attachments
Chili DirectX Framework Space Game.zip
(53.38 KiB) Downloaded 404 times

FranklinBluth

Re: My first game -- Spacey/Retro-ey Thingy

Post by FranklinBluth » January 13th, 2013, 8:20 pm

To clarify, arrows move, space shoots, and you can't kill the baddies; only maim them and doom them to an eternity of aimlessly wandering the cosmos as space gimps (which is a fate worse than death if you ask me)

Musi

Post by Musi » January 13th, 2013, 11:41 pm

Nice, i really like the parallax and particle effect.
Musi

There are 10 types of people that understand binary.
Those that do, and those that don't.

Clodi

Post by Clodi » January 14th, 2013, 11:44 am

it runs but after 3 sec it stops with errors.
I barely have time to see the screen but your space ship looks good. where did you get the sprite from? did you draw it?

nice one

LuX

Post by LuX » January 14th, 2013, 3:32 pm

Nice game. As musi said, the particles look cool on impact and stuff...
You have to make the enemies explode in the end and make it look cool as it does now.

You should also make the player fire a bit more slowly.
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ

FranklinBluth

Post by FranklinBluth » January 14th, 2013, 3:55 pm

Thanks, Musi :D

Drat, the enemy ship spawn algorithm is probably causing the error, Clodi :cry: I'll try to figure out what's really going on tonight. And yes, it's my little hand-drawn sprite :) Made it before I discovered Lux's super-nifty bmp to PutPixel program so it's actually entirely manually-done PutPixel calls. Took goshdarn forever. When I did discover Lux's wonderful program there was an equal measure of ecstatic joy and intense facepalming.

And if it isn't the man himself, thanks Lux! :)
As the fire speed goes I'm currently playing around with it but in this little build the damage output definitely doesn't match the enemy health. My plan is to trigger wing destruction only after all the pixels have been "shot off" the connecting area in a single y row, making it more dynamic, and final ship death would follow the overall health scheme. So basically, after implementing that I'm going to decide upon a low-health, low bullet model or higher-health, high bullet model (leaning towards this cause I'm ADHD and like lot's of visual effects :mrgreen: )

Also, do you think the bullets should have a slight spread rather than following the tight stream? Also trying to decide upon this.

Conflictus

Post by Conflictus » January 14th, 2013, 4:17 pm

Some of the bad ship movement has them vibrating for a couple seconds. It doesn't happen all the time and usually only 1 or 2 ships are affected at any given moment. I could be mistaken, but It also appears that it doesn't start until every ship has spawned.

Occasionally some of the bad ships will randomly spawn with explosion effects. My last run I noticed 3 out of 20.

Aside from those minor details I really loved the game. Keep up the good work. :D
Attachments
spawn_explosion.png
(10.36 KiB) Downloaded 393 times

Musi

Post by Musi » January 14th, 2013, 5:24 pm

The sprites are manually coded?? Nice job, that must have been a pain.
Musi

There are 10 types of people that understand binary.
Those that do, and those that don't.

FranklinBluth

Post by FranklinBluth » January 14th, 2013, 6:57 pm

Ah, yes, thanks for pointing that out, conflictus! I think I know why this might be happening, going to try a fix tonight!

And the two ship types are manually done (they were definitely a pain) but the explosions were done through Lux's program (thank heavens for that).

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

thetoddfather

Post by thetoddfather » January 14th, 2013, 11:57 pm

That is some impressive patience and perseverance you have there Franklin. Your hard work certainly shows in the final product here. I love it! I also like your idea of the per pixel damage. I like the stream personally the way it is. Maybe upgrades down the road for spread fire ... etc. I'd defs have them destroyable in the end though. Something less satisfying about them just giving me the finger once I have them against the ropes!!!