my first game [ updated ]

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
thetoddfather

Re: my first game

Post by thetoddfather » January 8th, 2013, 10:12 pm

The 'FULLSCREEN' in the options menu is a glitch in the code that LittleJimmy fixed in his last version. I didn't touch it in here, but he has addressed it.

The directional issue I cannot replicate. Let me know if it persists.

I fixed the fullscreen issue. The fullscreen option I put in is a rushed way of putting it into your game, but hey, it's better than nothing right?

The window should now return to its original spot when you leave fullscreen mode now.
Cheers.
Attachments
Noob2.rar
(1.99 MiB) Downloaded 189 times

thetoddfather

Post by thetoddfather » January 8th, 2013, 10:13 pm

I made 13,000 before I discovered the right-click weapon lol

Conflictus

Post by Conflictus » January 8th, 2013, 10:29 pm

After testing out more of the game I noticed the triangles seem to favor their left side for collision. Collision with the circles seems to work from every angle.

The reticle also disappears if its position sits on any of the grid lines.

I'm finding more about the game that I didn't notice originally like the little power ups scattered around the grid. :D

I still haven't been able to replicate whatever caused the movement bug, but i'll be sure to mention it if i do.
Attachments
reticle.png
(17.52 KiB) Downloaded 228 times
collision2.png
(17.41 KiB) Downloaded 228 times
collision.png
(18.21 KiB) Downloaded 228 times

thetoddfather

Post by thetoddfather » January 8th, 2013, 10:42 pm

Agreed. There are a few collision issues. The powerups are pretty sweet. I want MOARRR!!

Conflictus

Post by Conflictus » January 9th, 2013, 12:24 am

I managed to create a similar bug to the one I was having earlier with movement. While holding down one of the directions I went to click off the screen and the character continued to move in that direction. The same would apply to fullscreen mode if you happen to use alt + tab or any other combination where the window loses focus while holding down directional keys. I could still move in most directions when I returned to the game screen, however. It would only negate the movement if I tried moving in the opposite direction from where it was moving automatically. When I went to press the key to move in the same direction that the character was moving the character would stop and all the key functions returned to normal.

My latest testing presented me with another oddity that I haven't figured out yet. When the character moves to very specific parts of the screen some of the grid lines disappear.
Attachments
disappear_grid.png
(19.1 KiB) Downloaded 223 times

Conflictus

Post by Conflictus » January 9th, 2013, 1:48 am

The reticle appears to only be clamped to the right and bottom portion of the viewable area. If you move it too far up or to the left the reticle goes off the screen and the gun disappears. This happens in both windowed and fullscreen mode.
Attachments
missing_gun.png
(18.42 KiB) Downloaded 220 times

Littlejimmy

Post by Littlejimmy » January 9th, 2013, 3:49 am

hmm i noticed the triangles but never the grid like that you guys have found some interesting bugs to look into

LuX

Post by LuX » January 9th, 2013, 1:32 pm

This is actually pretty cool game. I played it yesterday night for five minutes and couldn't wait to play some more. Kinda reminds me of my own game.

I would point out from your code that it's good you use a lot of functions, but when you have that many functions you might want to learn putting them in separate files or something. And yeah, there seems to be a fair amount of bugs in the game, overall it's pretty sweet, not nooby at all.
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ

Littlejimmy

Post by Littlejimmy » January 10th, 2013, 4:08 am

i updated the triangles and stopped the pause screen from drawing over the game over screen and started the player skill tree
nooby game attempt.zip
(6.7 MiB) Downloaded 205 times

Kiluad

Re: my first game [ updated ]

Post by Kiluad » September 20th, 2013, 10:48 am

well now i know why geometry wars is so addicting.