my first game [ updated ]

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
Littlejimmy

my first game [ updated ]

Post by Littlejimmy » January 6th, 2013, 11:48 pm

well i just wanted to show my game and see if anyone had some helpful tips or comments im a total noob at this so any help or guidance would be great. anyway hope you guys enjoy it

the controls are arrow keys or wasd to move left mouse to shoot right mouse for missile shift to spawn ally drones and you can pause with escape UPDATE: ok i added some new enemys and made some tweaks and bug fixes its not the most ambitious update but here it is

NOTE: this game was made with VS 2012 and on Windows 8
game demo.zip
(7.54 MiB) Downloaded 360 times
Attachments
nooby game attempt.zip
(4.4 MiB) Downloaded 335 times
nooby game demo.zip
(4.06 MiB) Downloaded 381 times
Last edited by Littlejimmy on January 31st, 2013, 5:16 am, edited 4 times in total.

thetoddfather

Re: my first game

Post by thetoddfather » January 7th, 2013, 6:43 pm

Damn, I think you're using a new version of Visual Studio. Says I can't open this cause it was created in a newer version... :(

Littlejimmy

Post by Littlejimmy » January 7th, 2013, 9:55 pm

yeah sorry about that i made it in VS 2012
Last edited by Littlejimmy on January 8th, 2013, 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

thetoddfather

Post by thetoddfather » January 7th, 2013, 10:59 pm

Poo.

Littlejimmy

Post by Littlejimmy » January 8th, 2013, 4:50 am

well here is the release folder with exe and all files needed for it to run and i tested it and it worked on my pc and i included the VS 2012 redistributable in case you need that for it to work but im not sure if you do or if thats all you would need
Release.zip
(9.02 MiB) Downloaded 340 times

thetoddfather

Post by thetoddfather » January 8th, 2013, 6:52 am

Pretty cool! There may be a glitch if you click screen size normal then try to change other options it seems to stay.

Game runs pretty nicely. Didn't get a big chance tonight to play it, but I'll give it some more attention tomorrow. Like what I see so far though.

Conflictus

Post by Conflictus » January 8th, 2013, 10:17 am

Upon executing I get an error stating that it can't find MSVCR110.dll. I'm running Win7 64-bit with Visual Studio 2010 Express on my machine. MSVCR110.dll appears to be installed in the C:\Windows\System32 directory from vcredist_x64, however, the same error persists even after the installation. I tried copying MSVCR110.dll into the local directory of the program, which presented me with "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b). Click OK to close the application.".

I went to briefly test it out on my mother's laptop which runs it just fine. The laptop is running Win8 64-bit with no version of Visual Studio and the vcredist_x64 wasn't needed.

I haven't tested it extensively yet, but it looks good from what i've seen thus far. Well done. :)

Earlier on I had tried to compile the source code from the initial post, but was presented with an error "The selected file is a solution file, but was created by a newer version of this application and cannot be opened.". I then opened Chili's framework and added in all the *.h and *.cpp files and checked that Platform Toolset was set to v100 under the framework's properties. Trying to build the solution presented me with no errors or warnings, but when i tried running it I get 2 pop up windows mentioning "Assertion failed!". The first being sound.cpp (Expression: error ==0) and the other fread.c (Expression: stream != NULL).

I may end up trying out Visual Studio 2012 eventually and i'll be sure to test out the program again when I do. ;)

Littlejimmy

Post by Littlejimmy » January 8th, 2013, 12:38 pm

thanks for pointing out that bug i never got changing screen size from the game itself working so i never noticed so here are what should be some bug free files
nooby game demo.zip
(4.11 MiB) Downloaded 314 times
Release.zip
(9.28 MiB) Downloaded 329 times

thetoddfather

Post by thetoddfather » January 8th, 2013, 7:12 pm

Conflictus, it worked for me when I put the dll into the directory. I also managed to open it on my laptop 2010 and changed the tools to v100 and it worked there too.

LittleJimmy,
I did some copy paste and got it running on 2010.
I made a couple quick changes so I'll upload my 2010 version here. Had to start from scratch to get it running so you'll prob just want to copy paste the differences you wish to keep.
I changed the color of the reticle cause it blends into the background too much for me.
But the main change I made is added 'w','a','s','d' support and a very quick, easy 'fullscreen' fix so you can experience the game in fullscreen. Just hit enter. You can impliment it any way you wish though. But it works for now.

Also, anyone using express 2010 should now be able to take a look at your handy work :)
Enjoy!
Attachments
NoobGame2010.rar
(1.99 MiB) Downloaded 379 times

Conflictus

Post by Conflictus » January 8th, 2013, 8:44 pm

Todd, your fix worked perfectly it compiles and executes with no trouble at all.

I went to test the fullscreen mode. While it works it shoves the window to the upper left portion of the screen when you try to return to windowed mode. At first I thought it was just hiding part of the window off screen. I used alt + space to bring up a menu for the window and chose move. Upon returning the window to roughly the position it was at before i'm noticing the entire window border is missing including the title bar. I'm not sure whether that was intended or not.

Under options when clicking Screen Size before or after any of the other two options it overwrites the current text creating a jumbled mess. There was no problem when moving between Enemy Spawn Rate and Select Background, however.

I've only had it happen twice so far, but i've lost directional control for either W and S or A and D. It always seems to happen in pairs of opposing directions. I've also noticed once so far that if I restart the game after having trouble with moving it starts moving my character automatically. I think it was W and S that weren't working at the time and it was moving automatically in the S direction. The first time I encountered the issue was when I tried loading a game without a saved game. In this case my movement was hindered from the very start of the game. The other time was when I went to try a new game. It worked perfectly at first, but eventually I ran into the movement bug. I haven't noticed any problems with the arrow keys yet.

I tried removing the old options.dat and save.dat and have it build new ones, but I haven't been able to duplicate the problem I was having with movement yet.

4765 on hard so far. :D