[UPDATE 3.5]Angry Square

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
thetoddfather

Re: [UPDATE]Angry Square, Everything i've learn't in one gam

Post by thetoddfather » December 15th, 2012, 12:08 am

Looking forward to the changes HippoSocks!

I might have an update to my little program up on the forums by the end of the weekend or next week sometime.

HippoSocks

Post by HippoSocks » December 15th, 2012, 12:11 am

I'll keep updating it, but I have started another project just to try stuff out and experiment, once it's a somewhat playable game, I might share the code.. Someone might find it helpful, but I shall try have a update for Angry Square out soon.. :lol:
-Socks

natox1986

Post by natox1986 » December 15th, 2012, 11:01 am

Hi Hippo, I gave your game a try and I must say I really like it! It's so clean and simple, yet addictive!
It's also a nice concept to keep working on. You can implement everything you learn from Chili (and other places) and just apply them into your game coding.

Props to you, keep up the nice work!

HippoSocks

Post by HippoSocks » December 15th, 2012, 9:52 pm

Thanks for the reply Natox, I'm glad you liked it, personally I thought more people would of disliked it because of the simplicity, I'm glad I received some kind words about my game here.

I have taken this idea and expanded it into a new project, It's code is cleaner than this project but it uses the same basic concept, I have put a link in my signature as I imaging someone might stumble among it and find a use..

But for now most of my time is on Angry Square, trying to make it clean and remove all the bugs.
-Socks

natox1986

Post by natox1986 » December 16th, 2012, 11:12 am

HippoSocks wrote:Thanks for the reply Natox, I'm glad you liked it, personally I thought more people would of disliked it because of the simplicity, I'm glad I received some kind words about my game here.

I have taken this idea and expanded it into a new project, It's code is cleaner than this project but it uses the same basic concept, I have put a link in my signature as I imaging someone might stumble among it and find a use..

But for now most of my time is on Angry Square, trying to make it clean and remove all the bugs.
Well Hippo... I think that everyone that knows how hard it actually is to program a game in the first place can appreciate any creation that the creator has some kind of passion for. And the fact that you actually enjoy working on this project makes it cool since it will teach you alot of stuff while working on it and it shows us the results of your study and creativity!

It's the MOST beautiful part of these games.

In example, I browse youtube for new c++ game creations every now and then. And there's alot of games out there, that you would simply not buy in a store, but it's very beautiful to look at them because the creator kinda involves you in the progress of creating the game. (showing 'updates' or 'work in progress').

I just love it! And that's why I like your game aswell, you're kinda passionate about it!
So keep it up!!

natox1986

Re: [UPDATE 2]Angry Square, Everything i've learn't in one g

Post by natox1986 » December 16th, 2012, 11:30 am

I would like to give you a suggestion though.. If I made be so rude.

In progress of playing the game, more and more spikes spawn right?
It seems that sometimes apples actually spawn on top of the spikes.
It seems like a bug that needs to be fixed, unless it was your intention.

Noticed you already updated it, I'm sorry!

Maybe it would also be fun to make the spikes 'solid' so you won't be able to travel over them but you have to pass them on either side.

And I tried to make the enemy guy take damage by making him travel on the spikes, but nothing happens. Maybe that would be a cool concept?

Just thinking with you, don't take me the wrong way. :-)

HippoSocks

Post by HippoSocks » December 16th, 2012, 1:02 pm

Don't worry about me finding it rude if you point out a bug, a lot of developers rely on a community to spot bugs so they can focus on development more, and I find that when I get some criticism I can widen the target audience of what I would release..

I do like the idea of having the enemy get damaged, but I have been trying to some form of shooting stuff to work, like after the 3rd spike is added to the game a gun will appear onto the map, and you would be able to damage the enemy with it, and instead of re spawning him once his health hits 0 I was thinking having him just sit, with a different sprite, for, say 3 apple pick ups.

And for the weapon added, it will give you 3 tries unless you pick up more shots, like a new apple.

But I'm not so sure about that idea..

As for making them spikes solid, it didn't go to to plan when I tested it, I've made a few new projects to test it out, but it doesn't seem to work the way I try to do it, and if I look up a method of how collision works, I just find one on AABB collision, and making the sprite stop once it lands on a platform.. I will need it so the sprite stops when it hits the face of an object, but some says I have tried doing it just drops the frames to about 10..

Thanks for the suggestions though, I do appreciate some constructive criticism, and a bucket of ideas. :lol:
-Socks

natox1986

Post by natox1986 » December 16th, 2012, 2:27 pm

The weapon idea sounds really nice :-) especially if you could count the picked up apples and use them as ammunition... cool concept!

On your new release, I still had an apple spawning half-way on top of a spike. :(

And collision-wise, wouldn't it just be the same as the screen-clamping on beginner tutorials?
But instead of using nested if's, use the && operator?

Cheers mate :)

** EDIT **

Your window-side collision seems to be a bit bugged. Whenever I move the character to the top, it goes a tiny-bit offscreen and crashes the application.
And if I move it to the far left it shows up on the right a little and vice versa.

HippoSocks

Post by HippoSocks » December 16th, 2012, 2:41 pm

I have noticed the bugs around the side of the window when I tested it on my laptop, but on my desktop it ran fine, the confusing part is I have not touched that part of the code, so I can't think of what could cause it..

I'll have a go at recreating the error in debug mode later.

I also had apples spawn fully in spikes, I think I might of forgotten something when adding that, or I might of missed an initialization.. I don't know, but I'll fix them soon as I can.

EDIT: The problem with the player going outside the window somehow might be because of the sprite changes, I might have to rewrite that small hunk of code.

Plus I noticed i failed to fix the enemy spawning on the player when you first play from launching the program. I will be working on that as well.
-Socks

natox1986

Post by natox1986 » December 16th, 2012, 2:54 pm

HippoSocks wrote:I have noticed the bugs around the side of the window when I tested it on my laptop, but on my desktop it ran fine, the confusing part is I have not touched that part of the code, so I can't think of what could cause it..

I'll have a go at recreating the error in debug mode later.

I also had apples spawn fully in spikes, I think I might of forgotten something when adding that, or I might of missed an initialization.. I don't know, but I'll fix them soon as I can.

EDIT: The problem with the player going outside the window somehow might be because of the sprite changes, I might have to rewrite that small hunk of code.

Plus I noticed i failed to fix the enemy spawning on the player when you first play from launching the program. I will be working on that as well.
The sprite-size changing seems to make sense yeah! ;) Good call !
I'm looking forward to an update.