Square Demo

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
LuX

Square Demo

Post by LuX » October 12th, 2012, 7:27 pm

Going on a vacation for a couple of days, so mean while, enjoy this demo of Square.

It's pretty much a reworked and slightly different version of Vortex Nova, with new graphics, effects, enemies, gameplay etc.

So similar to the last game, you move around pressing WASD and shoot at enemies holding down the left mouse button, the right one will suck in the particles left behind by the enemies and explode them in all directions once you release or shoot. The particles will slowly fade away.

This time there are 5 different enemies all moving in a unique way and having something special, like shoot at you.

At 25% "Health" the screen should start pulsating red, but this doesn't always work for reasons I don't know. And there's a bunch of other cool effects too.

It's worthy to mention that there is no visible health (or any text at all), but rather you need to estimate the current health from the intensity of red. After a short time this health will regenerate back, multiplying, so that the less health you have the slower it will regenerate. Also at the time the screen pulsates (assuming it hasn't bugged) you might not want to get hit by a bullet : -P

The game should run on delta time, so it should be as fast for all, but I kinda implemented this on a rush, eg. just put all values ( x / 16.5f ) * delta.time() so it's a bit slower and I also might have forgotten something, but if you play at 60 fps all should run just fine.

Um, yeah guess that's it for now. Other buttons are: tab - pause, F1 - frame info, F2 - debug info, but these should be kept disabled for the best gaming experience.
Attachments
Square.rar
(84.55 KiB) Downloaded 431 times
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ

Asimov

Re: Square Demo

Post by Asimov » October 13th, 2012, 8:46 am

Hi Lux,

Will try this after, but in Britain our screens run on 50Hz heh heh.
Is this implementing all the new directx stuff you have been talking about?
----> Asimov
"You know no matter how much I think I have learnt. I always end up hitting brick walls"
http://www.asimoventerprises.co.uk

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » October 13th, 2012, 9:53 am

The different enemy types really add a nice touch of variation to the gameplay.
Chili

Lorth

Post by Lorth » October 16th, 2012, 1:33 pm

Hey LuX

i don't know if something is strange or what happends, but when i run the your program i get like a halv screen, the top and left side is colored grey but the right and bottom side just disepears making a black non-existing border :D

LuX

Post by LuX » October 19th, 2012, 10:06 am

@Asimov, it should work normally, besides some minor things I may have forgotten to change and yes, it uses most of the stuff I have figured out but maybe not in a very obvious way.

@Lorth, Don't know whats causing it, maybe your screen resolution to size is somehow messed or something or you have a small monitor or then your version of windows generates a different size window.
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ

Asimov

Post by Asimov » October 19th, 2012, 11:16 pm

Hi Lux,

Nice use of particles you got there. I have to admit though I am not very good at the game as I am using a laptop mouse which doesn't give me the speed I need.

I have taken a small break from programming because I am building a 1950's car in 3D at the moment.
----> Asimov
"You know no matter how much I think I have learnt. I always end up hitting brick walls"

Riffman

Post by Riffman » December 30th, 2012, 7:36 am

Nice game any chance you would post the source files so a novice like me could learn :)

LuX

Post by LuX » January 1st, 2013, 6:34 pm

You can download the Vortex Nova game which has pretty much every thing this has. Maybe not very well written, but you get the basics. This game uses completely different approach and uses outdated methods for which I have found better alternatives so it's not good practice anyway.
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ

Riffman

Post by Riffman » January 2nd, 2013, 5:31 am

Thanks,
I'm still very much a novice at programming been in level design for years this is much harder :)

Asimov

Post by Asimov » January 2nd, 2013, 12:33 pm

Hi Riffman,

Do you do level design in Unity? Our level designer has disappeared sort of, and we are after a new level designer heh heh.
----> Asimov