My Game

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
cameron

Re: My Game

Post by cameron » July 15th, 2013, 5:02 pm

Great game although, sticky keys made me die :(.
Computer too slow? Consider running a VM on your toaster.

Nosferatu

Post by Nosferatu » July 16th, 2013, 9:06 pm

Ok, after week or so, I had done some changes to the game. The biggest one would be that it now uses inheritance and polymorphism to store the objects, which allows greater variability when adding new classes to the game. I know that the whole structure could use a bit more abstraction but I have really little experience with OOP to design it properly. I've tried some new things however: templates, overloading operators and a new audio system( now uses free sfml library ). All game objects are now stored in a class named List( it's a template class ). I know that there is already a library for it but I wanted mine to be as simple as possible( and it also brought me a lot of trouble ).

Some new features : you can now aim with mouse, scrolling( + a camera object which ensures the game does not draw objects which are out of screen ), ladders, moving platforms( not quite done yet ), you can have saved up to 5 maps( I also added a little nice preview which shows up before you load a map ), platforms now aren't just made of one color but have brick texture.

CreateLevel:
L - start making ladder and pres L again to create, if you want to cancel it just press Mouse2( make sure the top side of the ladder is few pixels above platform otherwise you won't be able to climb down )
Space - makes platform same as ladder
Shift - places enemy ( also make sure to put a platform to block the enemy so it doesn't fall of the edge )
Enter - places player
E - places exit ( you cannot win or lose the game right now, just mindlessly run around and shoot )
M - moving platforms - collision with them is messed up right now
D - move your mouse over an object( other than player ) and press D to remove it
Mouse1 click on the background and drag to move camera
Mouse1 click on an object and drag to move it around

When done with the level press End and then enter the map name.

Multiplayer is not working yet although I've done some experimenting with socketing( made me a little client-server program and it worked ) but I'm still too far from implementing it into this game, but I thing the way I've done the game as whole should allow for it nicely.

Sorry for big download, but those sfml libraries are quite large.

P.S.: If I forgot to mention something essential I am sorry, but this post is too long anyways.

Edit: Damn it, you will probably need to install this as well http://www.sfml-dev.org/ ,
bacause I didn't link the static libraries( I will probably do it and post it again sometime soooon ), uh oh, wait, just realized I don't even know how to do it.
Attachments
Game.rar
(9.57 MiB) Downloaded 192 times

LuisR14

Post by LuisR14 » July 17th, 2013, 3:09 am

Nosferatu wrote:bacause I didn't link the static libraries( I will probably do it and post it again sometime soooon ), uh oh, wait, just realized I don't even know how to do it.
ahaha, need help with that? :lol:
always available, always on, about ~10 years c/c++, java[script], win32/directx api, [x]html/css/php/some asp/sql experience. (all self taught)
Knows English, Spanish and Japanese.
[url=irc://irc.freenode.net/#pchili]irc://irc.freenode.net/#pchili[/url] [url=irc://luisr14.no-ip.org/#pchili]alt[/url] -- join up if ever want real-time help or to just chat :mrgreen: --

Nosferatu

Post by Nosferatu » July 17th, 2013, 10:28 am

If you could give me some pointers on how to do that, I would be grateful. :D

Nosferatu

Post by Nosferatu » July 17th, 2013, 8:36 pm

Update: you can now win and lose :D ( just press END key when you see the win/lose screen to move on )

Aaand it's pre-built so if I'm not mistaken you don't have to download anything to get it running. ;)
Attachments
Game - built.rar
(842.37 KiB) Downloaded 187 times

LuX

Post by LuX » July 17th, 2013, 9:12 pm

For me the game crashes when I save the map. Seems to be saved anyway, but the map manager is not updated so I cannot play the maps...

I also didn't quite catch the purpose of the SFML files.
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ

Nosferatu

Post by Nosferatu » July 18th, 2013, 5:25 pm

Did you extract it before launching the game right, ? :D because for me it works perfectly.
The sfml files are there because I didn't use Chili's audio rather the one from sfml, but this shouldn't concern you since it's already built.

LuisR14

Post by LuisR14 » July 18th, 2013, 6:12 pm

so you got it built with static libs? (i had forgotten about this thread heh)
always available, always on, about ~10 years c/c++, java[script], win32/directx api, [x]html/css/php/some asp/sql experience. (all self taught)
Knows English, Spanish and Japanese.
[url=irc://irc.freenode.net/#pchili]irc://irc.freenode.net/#pchili[/url] [url=irc://luisr14.no-ip.org/#pchili]alt[/url] -- join up if ever want real-time help or to just chat :mrgreen: --

Nosferatu

Post by Nosferatu » July 18th, 2013, 6:19 pm

Not really, I used dynamic ones and added them into the folder. But this version is already compiled so there's no need to download the smfl library.

LuX

Post by LuX » July 19th, 2013, 4:24 pm

No, I did extract it first and even after re trying it doesn't work. The maps are saved but just not updated to your manager, which I assume keeps track of the names of maps created.

I'm running now on Windows 8, and spotted that some of my older projects now seem to crash occasionally so maybe there's some problem with that.

Tried running in compatability mode Windows 7 and Vista but with no luck.
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ