Maze Game

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
Sumit

Re: Maze Game

Post by Sumit » September 11th, 2012, 3:04 pm

chili wrote:Hey Sumit, thanks for sharing your game on the forum! I took a look at your code; it looks good. Your style is great and it's easy to follow your logic.

I'm impressed with the results of randomly generating a maze. Procedurally generated levels are very interesting, especially if you want to make a rouguelike, but they can be challenging.

My only critisism would be that you should try and separate your drawing code and your game logic I little more, but it's not a big issue in your program.

Thanks a lot Chili for your reply.
And thanks for your suggestion (separation of drawing code and game logic). I'll keep in mind while coding.
Sumit

Sumit

Post by Sumit » September 11th, 2012, 3:16 pm

viruskiller wrote:great game,didn't really look into the logic of randomly creating the maze yet ,but is very impressive so far,your coding stile looks good,and easy to read .
also nice that u define lots of variables instead of just typing a number,like u said they come in handy when u want to modify something in the game:),although few more comments on what they needed for would be useful :D,i changed posiblemoves from 4 to 1 and it crashed, changed it to 5 and worked,not sure if that's for changing the complexitiy of the maze though:)
anyway keep up the good work and i'm happy to see ppl like u joining this comunity:D

Thanks a lot brother for downloading the game and sharing your suggestion.
You cant decrease the size of possiblemoves array from 4 , as there can be 4 possible moves at most (Left , Right , Up , Down). And yes you put more than 4 , but that's waste of memory.

Thank you viruskiller again for your review
Sumit

Sumit

Post by Sumit » September 11th, 2012, 3:27 pm

viruskiller wrote:i just checked the second maze and i think codinitup will be surprised to see how fast u worked out what he suggested:D,im surpriesed as well :).

anyway i think u should work out a different way to do collision checks, maybe could try doing them after the player moves,then check if his move was legit and if not move it back before drawing?
the reason is that beeing such a big maze and so many turns and also having to avoid enemy's is really bad on the keystroke count,i mean i barely got half way with it and my hand was hurting from so many keystrokes lol.
if u could have it work so that u just keep the key's pressed and the shape will move until it hits a wall that would be a big improvement, also having a second key pressed for next turn should be posible, sort of driving the cube around the maze instead of just pushing it every square.

Thanks viruskiller for this suggestion.
I'll work on it.

Thank you so much.
Sumit

LuX

Post by LuX » September 11th, 2012, 4:48 pm

Pretty cool.

I think every one else already gave some good reviews, I would like to point out that you have done a great job on keeping the code small and simple, yet making something really awesome.
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ

Natories

Post by Natories » September 11th, 2012, 6:57 pm

Sumit,
I agree with everyone else here, I really like your program! Keep up the great work!
Natories

Sumit

Post by Sumit » September 12th, 2012, 4:54 am

LuX wrote:Pretty cool.

I think every one else already gave some good reviews, I would like to point out that you have done a great job on keeping the code small and simple, yet making something really awesome.

Thanks LuX
Sumit

Sumit

Post by Sumit » September 12th, 2012, 4:54 am

Natories wrote:Sumit,
I agree with everyone else here, I really like your program! Keep up the great work!
Natories

Thanks Natories
Sumit

codinitup

Post by codinitup » September 12th, 2012, 5:26 am

Well I checked the second game out and I must say, nice improvements. But I would recommend some music/sound effects! A possible level system might be something you want to implement when you watch lesson 20 and 21. 20 is Sprite Loading, and 21 is Sprite Font Loading (loading pics and loading words to the screen). That's always a good quality of a game. Another suggestion would be a progressive increase in the difficulty of the game. This can be done in separate levels, or in the current level the player is on. You can start off with 1 or 2 enemies, and then use the Sleep (DWORD Milliseconds) function to allow the enemies to be drawn to the screen at a random time. If you don't know what I mean by the Sleep() function, than use google, or just make more enemies as the person goes through levels. You said you were on lesson 14, so no hurry to make these changes, but they are just a few things to keep in mind for the later lessons. :)
MOOOOOO

Sumit

Post by Sumit » September 12th, 2012, 8:54 am

codinitup wrote:Well I checked the second game out and I must say, nice improvements. But I would recommend some music/sound effects! A possible level system might be something you want to implement when you watch lesson 20 and 21. 20 is Sprite Loading, and 21 is Sprite Font Loading (loading pics and loading words to the screen). That's always a good quality of a game. Another suggestion would be a progressive increase in the difficulty of the game. This can be done in separate levels, or in the current level the player is on. You can start off with 1 or 2 enemies, and then use the Sleep (DWORD Milliseconds) function to allow the enemies to be drawn to the screen at a random time. If you don't know what I mean by the Sleep() function, than use google, or just make more enemies as the person goes through levels. You said you were on lesson 14, so no hurry to make these changes, but they are just a few things to keep in mind for the later lessons. :)

Hi codinitup,
Thanks for the suggestions. I think , you must be a good programmer.
Right now I am busy watching tutorials. But I promise you I'll upload the complete game including all your suggestions and with improved enemy AI.

Thanks codinitup for giving there suggestions.
Sumit