Maze Game

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
Sumit

Maze Game

Post by Sumit » September 11th, 2012, 2:29 am

Hi Chili,

Thanks a lot for tutorials. Till now I have watched 14 of them.
I am ok programmer. But I love coding.
I have made this maze game. I know that this code can be optimized.
So, I request you chili to check my game and provide me feedback.

Thank you
Attachments
Maze.rar
(212.21 KiB) Downloaded 372 times
Sumit

Sumit

Re: Maze Game

Post by Sumit » September 11th, 2012, 3:49 am

Hi all,

Please Download this game , and please give me feedback.

Thanks
Sumit

cameron

Post by cameron » September 11th, 2012, 3:59 am

I might tommarow.
Computer too slow? Consider running a VM on your toaster.

Sumit

Post by Sumit » September 11th, 2012, 5:59 am

cameron wrote:I might tommarow.

Thanks Cameron
Sumit

codinitup

Post by codinitup » September 11th, 2012, 6:18 am

Well it looks as if you are a really good programmer to me :). You might try putting a reset button into the program (for example, the enter key or space). The game looks very well constructed, I can tell that you put a lot of effort into it, and the algorithm that recreates the maze differently each time. You should make the maze more complex, the player smaller, and the goal smaller as well. I say that because you only have 2 enemy's right now. If you had a smaller maze then you could so easily put more enemies into the program, and thus create more of a challenge. Also it looks as if the enemies follow a specific pattern (hits the walls and takes every possible direction out of a dead end). That wouldn't be a big issue though, mostly because the only other option I can think of is a program that can learn the maze and the players strategy (A very hard think to accomplish). But then again that does bring another point to draw more enemies to the screen, if you have more than 2 out there, than you can have a better chance of getting the player. That would completely eliminate the problem of making a program that learns stuff.

I know that's a lot of stuff to take in, but I was trying to be as helpful as possible towards your goal of creating a more complex/better game. Don't take it as a bad thing though, most games always need a beta test (other people to test them and provide honest feedback) to make them as good as possible. That's how companies develop some great software as well. Those are just a few things to think about.

P.S. Your code looks really organized and easy to understand, keep up the good work bro ;)
MOOOOOO

Sumit

Post by Sumit » September 11th, 2012, 8:04 am

codinitup wrote:Well it looks as if you are a really good programmer to me :). You might try putting a reset button into the program (for example, the enter key or space). The game looks very well constructed, I can tell that you put a lot of effort into it, and the algorithm that recreates the maze differently each time. You should make the maze more complex, the player smaller, and the goal smaller as well. I say that because you only have 2 enemy's right now. If you had a smaller maze then you could so easily put more enemies into the program, and thus create more of a challenge. Also it looks as if the enemies follow a specific pattern (hits the walls and takes every possible direction out of a dead end). That wouldn't be a big issue though, mostly because the only other option I can think of is a program that can learn the maze and the players strategy (A very hard think to accomplish). But then again that does bring another point to draw more enemies to the screen, if you have more than 2 out there, than you can have a better chance of getting the player. That would completely eliminate the problem of making a program that learns stuff.

I know that's a lot of stuff to take in, but I was trying to be as helpful as possible towards your goal of creating a more complex/better game. Don't take it as a bad thing though, most games always need a beta test (other people to test them and provide honest feedback) to make them as good as possible. That's how companies develop some great software as well. Those are just a few things to think about.

P.S. Your code looks really organized and easy to understand, keep up the good work bro ;)

Thanks a lot codinitup for your reply.
In order to make bigger maze and increase enemy number , I just need to change some macros.
For eg : In game.h file change #define MAX_OBSTACLES 2 to 3 , 4 or any number of enemies you want.

Thank you once again.
Sumit

Sumit

Post by Sumit » September 11th, 2012, 11:01 am

Sumit wrote:
codinitup wrote:Well it looks as if you are a really good programmer to me :). You might try putting a reset button into the program (for example, the enter key or space). The game looks very well constructed, I can tell that you put a lot of effort into it, and the algorithm that recreates the maze differently each time. You should make the maze more complex, the player smaller, and the goal smaller as well. I say that because you only have 2 enemy's right now. If you had a smaller maze then you could so easily put more enemies into the program, and thus create more of a challenge. Also it looks as if the enemies follow a specific pattern (hits the walls and takes every possible direction out of a dead end). That wouldn't be a big issue though, mostly because the only other option I can think of is a program that can learn the maze and the players strategy (A very hard think to accomplish). But then again that does bring another point to draw more enemies to the screen, if you have more than 2 out there, than you can have a better chance of getting the player. That would completely eliminate the problem of making a program that learns stuff.

Thanks a lot codinitup for your reply.
In order to make bigger maze and increase enemy number , I just need to change some macros.
For eg : In game.h file change #define MAX_OBSTACLES 2 to 3 , 4 or any number of enemies you want.

Thank you once again.

Hi codinitup,

I am uploading both big and small maze.
Please download it and give me feedback.

Hi all,
Please download this maze game.
The previous (above) one is having a bug. I have fixed the bug in this one.

Thanks
Attachments
Big and Small Maze.zip
This file contains both big and small Maze puzzle game
(1.56 MiB) Downloaded 291 times
Sumit

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » September 11th, 2012, 12:54 pm

Hey Sumit, thanks for sharing your game on the forum! I took a look at your code; it looks good. Your style is great and it's easy to follow your logic.

I'm impressed with the results of randomly generating a maze. Procedurally generated levels are very interesting, especially if you want to make a rouguelike, but they can be challenging.

My only critisism would be that you should try and separate your drawing code and your game logic I little more, but it's not a big issue in your program.
Chili

viruskiller

Post by viruskiller » September 11th, 2012, 2:43 pm

great game,didn't really look into the logic of randomly creating the maze yet ,but is very impressive so far,your coding stile looks good,and easy to read .
also nice that u define lots of variables instead of just typing a number,like u said they come in handy when u want to modify something in the game:),although few more comments on what they needed for would be useful :D,i changed posiblemoves from 4 to 1 and it crashed, changed it to 5 and worked,not sure if that's for changing the complexitiy of the maze though:)
anyway keep up the good work and i'm happy to see ppl like u joining this comunity:D

viruskiller

Post by viruskiller » September 11th, 2012, 3:01 pm

i just checked the second maze and i think codinitup will be surprised to see how fast u worked out what he suggested:D,im surpriesed as well :).

anyway i think u should work out a different way to do collision checks, maybe could try doing them after the player moves,then check if his move was legit and if not move it back before drawing?
the reason is that beeing such a big maze and so many turns and also having to avoid enemy's is really bad on the keystroke count,i mean i barely got half way with it and my hand was hurting from so many keystrokes lol.
if u could have it work so that u just keep the key's pressed and the shape will move until it hits a wall that would be a big improvement, also having a second key pressed for next turn should be posible, sort of driving the cube around the maze instead of just pushing it every square.