introduction plus game

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
Freeman

introduction plus game

Post by Freeman » August 24th, 2012, 2:28 pm

hey there,

after lots of lurking and one or two posts im finally getting round to formally introducing myself.
im currently studying physics in germany and am an avid past-time gamer, whose always wanted
to program but never been much good at it

anyway, the game i would like to demonstrate to you is pretty much a hastily mashed together compound of the essence of chilli's early lessons, mixed in with some bad programming habits
of my own and code thats messy enough to make your eyes bleed.

basically you control a cluster of particles that has to swallow up rings ( what? ) depending on thier colours ( WHAT? ), i guess itll become clear if you peek at the code. obviously this was meant more as a stepping stone for me to practise before attempting some of the more ambitious projects i have in mind.

it should be noted that there tends to be some assertion failure on creation of the particles, and buggy enemy behaviour ( most notably the 'patrol' behaviour ) , and the functionality that i would have liked to implement but couldnt be bothered to as of yet would be: text rendering in order to display information as well as a life/ hitpoint system

tl:dr > play the #*$!&@% game n let me know what you think!

edit: i am aware that ∃ enumerations, just too lazy to recall how they worked again
Attachments
Gamerelease.rar
(55.53 KiB) Downloaded 334 times

chili
Site Admin

Re: introduction plus game

Post by chili » August 24th, 2012, 2:50 pm

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be doing, but the particles look sweet. ;)

Your code format and organization is good. Easy to read and the variable names are logical.

Some minor suggestions would be using enums for stuff like the colors and you should only be doing drawing in the ComposeFrame() function. Just some things to keep in mind for your next project.

Anyways, welcome aboard and thanks for sharing your work. Your code definately shows promise.
Chili

LuX

Post by LuX » August 24th, 2012, 2:53 pm

+1

The particle effect looks cool, but I don't know what I'm supposed to do...
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ

Freeman

Post by Freeman » August 24th, 2012, 2:58 pm

basically you need a big enough amount of particles of the colour of the ring youre colliding with to kill it otherwise you get killed ( the amount also depends on the size of the ring )

thanks guys for the awesomely quick replies, woah, i FEEL the motivation :P

i.e. start by chasing all the white rings and move on to small rings from there, bit pointless as a 'game' i know

edit: ooops, forgot the most important thing of all! to thank you for your kickass tutorials chilli, you da man, dawg :)

Natories

Post by Natories » August 24th, 2012, 4:18 pm

Freeman,

I agree with everyone else, these are sweet particles and I didn't have a clue as to what to do ... but now that you mentioned it ... back to it!

Natories