Hey Asimov!

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
Asimov

Re: Hey Asimov!

Post by Asimov » August 9th, 2012, 4:47 pm

Hi Chilli,
What do mean by 104 or 117???
Well as you know when you add a resource it has a number. When I added my turret.png as a resource I gave it 104, but that made my game crash with an exception.

So I went back to my resource and renamed the resource to 117 and then it didn't crash.

Then in resource.h you can give that number a define eg
#define IDR_TURRET 117

I wonder if some numbers are reserved or something.
The exception I got was a memory exception, and strange on XP I get the same exception.

So perhaps on XP some other numbers are reserved.

I didn't have time yesterday, but I am thinking of rebuilding my resource file, and hope I can get it to work on Win7 and XP. At the moment it runs on Win7 without problems, but stil crashes on XP.
Had trouble trying to install Visual Studio on XP yesterday. Kept giving me errors on installing grrr.

Asimov
----> Asimov
"You know no matter how much I think I have learnt. I always end up hitting brick walls"
http://www.asimoventerprises.co.uk

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » August 10th, 2012, 2:21 pm

I have no idea why changing the resource ID number stops it from crashing. Weird mojo.
Chili

Asimov

Post by Asimov » August 10th, 2012, 3:54 pm

Hi Chilli,

This is really annoying as my xp machine has died a death and won't boot up, so now I can't test the game with xp. I know people are moving on but there are still a lot of people out there with xp. I have xp on a netbook as well, but for some reason my netbook doesn't like visual studio premium and won't install.

Just wondering though. Now we got pngs to load from resources, would it be a great leap to get sound to load from resources too?

I am not quite ready to add sound to the game yet, but I was just wondering. I need to write a bit of music that will work with the game yet. I have ideas in my head, but haven't had time to get the old keyboard out and give it a go.

Asimov
----> Asimov
"You know no matter how much I think I have learnt. I always end up hitting brick walls"
http://www.asimoventerprises.co.uk