Finished project: AssTeroid - Suggestions welcomed

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
ronhill_lights

Finished project: AssTeroid - Suggestions welcomed

Post by ronhill_lights » August 1st, 2012, 5:15 pm

My first project is finally finished. Please, be free to suggest any improvement.
Attachments
AssTeroid.0.8.3.rar
(2.11 MiB) Downloaded 349 times

LuX

Re: Finished project: AssTeroid - Suggestions welcomed

Post by LuX » August 1st, 2012, 5:48 pm

Visually looks pretty nice, but I can't comment on your coding style without seeing it.

As a general rule it's always smart to put up the code, not like anyone is going to steal it and make a fortune with it. In cases such as forum challenges or code that is stuck up with other tests (AKA. test code that you wouldn't feel comfortable sharing) it would be acceptable to send just an exe.

A cool feature for the game would be lasers. Always lasers. But instead of making the asteroids explode, make them split to smaller parts or something cool. Also an alien spaceship might look good.
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ

ronhill_lights

Post by ronhill_lights » August 1st, 2012, 7:43 pm

Here is the code.

I tried to split the asteroids after collision, but without success. I hope you guys can figure it out how to do this. Give me some hint:)

As a bonus, i'm giving you the early version of "indirect" control of the player, which means that you control the "force" which acts on the player, rather than position of it. It's pretty hard to play if there are too many asteroids on the screen (you must to "predict" trajectories much more in advance).

By the way, collision model is based on momentum conservation, mass of the smaller asteroid is 1, bigger have mass 8, and coin 5.
Attachments
AssTeroid V9 - Larger asteroids + Indirect Control.rar
(1.13 MiB) Downloaded 307 times
Chili DirectX Framework.rar
(3.15 MiB) Downloaded 291 times

Asimov

Post by Asimov » August 2nd, 2012, 3:44 am

Hi,

The way I would split the asteroid is to have it pre-split, but have all the bits joined together in a jigsaw. Each part would be in an array, so that when you hit it you can program each bit to go indifferent directions. I would make a class for this.

Mostly in asteroids and I am an expert on this LOL. There are usualy more than one split. Normally every time you hit the asteroid it splits into two and then the smaller pieces.

My favourite asteroids clone was 'Deep space' on the Spectrum.

Asimov
----> Asimov
"You know no matter how much I think I have learnt. I always end up hitting brick walls"
http://www.asimoventerprises.co.uk

astr0

Post by astr0 » August 2nd, 2012, 7:31 am

finaly somebody speaking my language :) My friends father is from Slavonski Brod :) Anyway interesting game :)
Programming is my art.