Did you ever imagine your tuts would be this popular?

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
Asimov

Did you ever imagine your tuts would be this popular?

Post by Asimov » July 31st, 2012, 9:47 am

Hi Chilli,

When you started making your tutorials, did you ever imagine they would be this popular, in a world where nobody really thinks anymore.

I came across them by accident while looking for windows api tutorials.

Asimov
----> Asimov
"You know no matter how much I think I have learnt. I always end up hitting brick walls"
http://www.asimoventerprises.co.uk

chili
Site Admin

Re: Did you ever imagine your tuts would be this popular?

Post by chili » August 1st, 2012, 2:08 pm

I sort of did figure they would catch on, because nobody is doing what I was planning on doing (starting off with graphical manipulation from the first lesson). After I finish explaining the framework and we finish the first big(ish) game project using classes, I'm going to create an index of all the topics/lessons uploaded and then start promoting the tutorials/site on aggregators and relevant message boards. We might see a pretty big boost in traffic at that point.
Chili

XxWalKaxX

Post by XxWalKaxX » August 1st, 2012, 2:54 pm

Haha its funny I read this because just maybe 10 mins ago I posted a linked to your vidz in my FB status, I think ever body should exp. the pooface game
What you call a bug...I call a new feature!

simplicity

Post by simplicity » August 1st, 2012, 5:04 pm

Hey Chili you could make your later tutorials a bit more fun. Most of the examples you are using aren't that fun. Like creating a score system isn't what I call the definition of fun. I want lasers.

Asimov

Post by Asimov » August 1st, 2012, 5:26 pm

Hi simplicity,

He wasn't showing us the score system because it was fun, but a good way to show you how linked lists work. However I didn't do very well with the tutorial LOL. I will be mainly using arrays, until I understand linked lists more ahem :)

Asimov
----> Asimov
"You know no matter how much I think I have learnt. I always end up hitting brick walls"

LuX

Post by LuX » August 1st, 2012, 5:36 pm

Dunno. I mean at the beginning the humor combined with the tutorials was a smart move to get people interested in it, but at later, I would feel comfortable with more "serious" tutorials. Not to say I would care, as long as the tutorials are quality stuff like so far.
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ

simplicity

Post by simplicity » August 1st, 2012, 5:42 pm

Asimov wrote:Hi simplicity,

He wasn't showing us the score system because it was fun, but a good way to show you how linked lists work. However I didn't do very well with the tutorial LOL. I will be mainly using arrays, until I understand linked lists more ahem :)

Asimov
I know what he was trying to do as I have read up on object oriented programming.

It's just what he used as an example is boring. His videos used to be so fun. Like the first 16 tutorials was fun, then suddenly it got boring. I still watch them because they are really good, but it's like getting bored for two hours to learn something.

He could have made it more fun.

Plus his later videos are indeed very hard to understand. If chili made it more fun, then I'm pretty sure it could enhance the tutorials.

Asimov

Post by Asimov » August 1st, 2012, 5:53 pm

Hi simplicity,

I am afraid some subjects are boring now matter how you colour them LOL.

@Lux: I love the humour. It breaks up the video so that you don't drop off and fall asleep heh heh.

Asimov
----> Asimov

npissoawsome

Post by npissoawsome » August 1st, 2012, 11:32 pm

simplicity wrote:Hey Chili you could make your later tutorials a bit more fun. Most of the examples you are using aren't that fun. Like creating a score system isn't what I call the definition of fun. I want lasers.
I use linked lists for my bullets, it's probably the best place to use them lol, it works quite well

Asimov

Post by Asimov » August 2nd, 2012, 1:33 am

Hi npissoawsome,
I use linked lists for my bullets, it's probably the best place to use them lol, it works quite well
Surely linked lists are better for items which are not definable. I mean you would probably know how many bullets you are going to use in a game, so is it worth using a linked list for this? I would have thought an array would be just as good, because you know the total number of bullets.

I use arrays in my game for my missiles, as I know the total amount ahead of time.

Asimov

PS. The linked list tutorial flew right over my head LOL.
----> Asimov