best book for data structures??

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
fluid

best book for data structures??

Post by fluid » July 28th, 2012, 8:16 pm

Thnx chili for all your lessons really helped me a lot especially ur pointer lessons. Wanted to learn data structures and analysis of algorithms in c/c++ was just asking for suggestions for any good and easy to understand books.

BrokenBackspaceKey

Re: best book for data structures??

Post by BrokenBackspaceKey » July 31st, 2012, 5:02 am

That's a really good question, and the answer may just be that there aren't any good books out there. My reasoning is this: most programmers who really know their stuff aren't writing books, because they are too busy writing code. Also, books in this category become dated very fast. And the really sad part is that most really good, new ideas are proprietory.

So if some genius programmer codes up a great 3D engine, he is probably not going to share the source code with the world, but instead he is going to quietly implement it in his own software apps.

That said, there certainly might be some good texts out there, and the best way to find them is to do exactly what you are doing (asking on programming forums).

Chili uses cplusplus.com a lot so this is a link to the section on structures-->

http://cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/structures/

Microsoft has plenty of samples to download -->

http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/site/sea ... xt=Desktop

Often you can download free books in Adobe Acrobat Format (pdf). I've been programming in C for decades, but I've just recently started into C++, and I downloaded a text on C++ when I started learning this language. The book is called Programming and Problem Solving with C++, 3rd Ed. by Nell B. Dale, et al.

I forget the site that I downloaded the ebook on, but I think they try to download some kind of shareware along with the free ebooks. Google "free ebook downloads c++" but also be cautious. As for the ebook mentioned above, it was okay, but somewhat hard to follow the software examples because the code wasn't properly indented (which is probably a recurring theme in ebooks on programming).

This site has some good book reviews -->

http://www.i-programmer.info/bookreviews/5-c.html

Good luck!

<-- Backspace

fluid

Post by fluid » July 31st, 2012, 9:18 pm

thnx bro

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » August 1st, 2012, 1:59 pm

If you're talking about data structures as in lists, trees, graphs, etc., Wikibooks has a lot of material on the subject. Data structures and searching and sorting algorithms are covered in fairly good depth from what I saw.
Chili

fluid

Post by fluid » August 2nd, 2012, 7:05 pm

thnx chili