Work in Progress

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
chili
Site Admin

Re: Work in Progress

Post by chili » July 25th, 2012, 1:05 pm

That is precisely the page where I got the formula I use to calculate impulse. ;)
Chili

Asimov

Post by Asimov » August 5th, 2012, 11:54 pm

Hi Chilli/Lux,

You know that movie "The day the earth stood still", the black and white one, as the colour one was rubbish. You know when he is writing all those formulas on the black board, well that page of formulas looked like that to me. I really wish I could understand them, but I haven't got a clue, and got even less of a clue how to implement them.

Say I was going to use one of those forumulas. Is there an easy way to break it down so that you don't have to be a rocket scientist to understand them?

Asimov
----> Asimov
"You know no matter how much I think I have learnt. I always end up hitting brick walls"
http://www.asimoventerprises.co.uk

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » August 6th, 2012, 2:58 pm

It really helps if you have experience calculating these things by hand. Otherwise you won't have the intuitive sense to implement it in code.

I finally got collision working between polygons. So many bugs. Let this be a lesson to the rest of you: drunk coding is not a good idea. :(
Attachments
sparty.zip
(47.83 KiB) Downloaded 186 times
Chili

LuX

Post by LuX » August 6th, 2012, 3:23 pm

Haven't been working on this project for a while, need to get back to it sometime.

Sorry, chilleh, couldn't download the file, chrome complains about "unsecure file type" or some shit.

@Asimov. You don't need to be a rocket scientist. The equations might look weird, but that's just put out so that an actual rocket scientist can read it without any tutorials, but that's were the tutorial comes in. You could type out all the equations to variables that you feel more comfortable with, all you need to do is understand the math behind the equation so you can import it to your own code.

PS. I haven't even had high school physics yet : -P Saved it for the last year.
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ

Asimov

Post by Asimov » August 6th, 2012, 5:02 pm

Hi Lux,

High school has different meanings in different countries. We in Britain consider high school from the age of 11 onwards.

When I went to school we had Infant School, Junior School and comprehensive. We started comprehensive at 11, and we actually called that our high school.

I think High School also has a different meaning in America also.

From 16 onwards we have a choice whether to go onto further education in college or University. I went to Bakery college and got distintions in Bread and cake confectionary. After 10 years working in a bakery I decided I hated it and left LOL.

Our maths teacher at school knew her subject, but she couldn't teach. Hence I had trouble learning, and she couldn't control the class. Obviously there is a certain amount of maths in programming, but I get lost with applying equations.

Asimov
----> Asimov
"You know no matter how much I think I have learnt. I always end up hitting brick walls"

XxWalKaxX

Post by XxWalKaxX » August 6th, 2012, 5:47 pm

in america its not based on age, its done by grade lvl, usually people start school when they're 5 but it all depeneds on when the birthday is, grades go from k-12, most students who graduate from 12, then have the opt to further their education in college or trade school
What you call a bug...I call a new feature!

LuX

Post by LuX » August 6th, 2012, 7:21 pm

I'm not sure of the exact terms and looking online there are billions of variations and translations, but roughly, in Finland you have 9 years of ground school that starts at around 7 years, that everyone must go to (usually divided to 1-6 as lower ground school and 7-9 as upped ground school). After that you can pretty much choose what to do. Even quit school which is still hard to get through, so most go 3-4 years of high school or multiple years of vocational school or what ever it's called. Then some go further to a university.
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » August 13th, 2012, 2:54 pm

Made a little progress in my little project. Does some weird shit sometimes, which is cool.
Attachments
Momentum.zip
(50.77 KiB) Downloaded 178 times
Chili

Asimov

Post by Asimov » August 14th, 2012, 8:37 pm

Hi Chilli,

This is really impressive stuff and I can imagine how it could be used in many games. I am pretty good with working out problems, but I wouldn't know where to start with this kind of stuff.

I have in the past worked out lots of stuff, but some stuff seems like there is a blank wall in front of me and I can't get passed it.

Asimov
----> Asimov

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » August 15th, 2012, 10:50 am

Google. You always start with Google. :P

A bit of general knowledge of physics will help you narrow your search and understand the material better though.

Working on a motion blur module for the D3DGraphics object right now.
Chili