Purity [Concept]

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
LuX

Purity [Concept]

Post by LuX » July 14th, 2012, 11:35 pm

New game project! Currently named "Purity", because I couldn't come up with anything better. Ironically, this (should at least) will be more a tactical game than "assault tactics" that was more of a brainless shooter.

Here's a small "teaser" of my new game project.
So yeah, first I wanted to make some sort of a tank game, then I wanted to continue on my assault tactics game. Then I got this awesome idea for a new game:

If you have played the game "frozen synapse" you will understand better my vision.
Instead of a traditional WASD movement, this time you control the character by placing way points on the screen, that he will follow. In addition, this game uses similar sight method as assault tactics, so you need to control the direction the character looks.

There are a couple of ways actually. First off, there's a "free" mode, where the character will look at the cursors direction. Then there's an option to place aim points on the way points, which tells the character where to look at. Last, there's a "focus" mode, where the character always looks the direction he's moving, giving a movement speed bonus in addition.

Unlike in assault tactics, the sight is a slow follower, so it won't instantly look where directed, but rather gradually moving towards that. The rotation speed is faster when the character stays still or is in "focus" mode.

Lastly, I at least planned so, that instead of a "click to shoot", this game will shoot automatically once an enemy is spotted. Obviously there are a lot of variables, like weapon type, current mode, and many more that affect the chances of hitting and so on. It's pretty cool already watching the character roam around the screen : -P

Here's a screenshot how the game currently looks like: the following orders would be "look around the corner and return to original post" The game is still buggy, so I'll post a test.exe later...
Purity [0.1].png
(54.54 KiB) Downloaded 294 times
Here's maybe a clearer image: with these way points the character will walk around the wall while looking at it.
Purity [0.1] (2).png
(49.73 KiB) Downloaded 291 times
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ

simplicity

Re: Purity [Concept]

Post by simplicity » July 15th, 2012, 2:33 am

That would be a good game to write some AI for. Plus it would be good to see your way point code. Wouldn't it be easy to add a suppress fire command. Maybe if you make yourself move faster, but can't shoot. Sort of like a sprint that can dodge bullets. I'm assuming the bullets aren't instant.

Also your name Lux. You play League of legends. Lux is my favourite champ.

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » July 15th, 2012, 5:12 am

simplicity wrote:Also your name Lux. You play League of legends. Lux is my favourite champ.
Funny coincidence. You wash your hair. LuX is my favorite shamp(oo).
IMG_0607.JPG
IMG_0607.JPG (107.91 KiB) Viewed 5228 times
:lol:

Game looks interesting LuX, can't wait to try it out. You really like line of sight calculations, don't you? ;)
Chili

LuX

Post by LuX » July 15th, 2012, 8:57 am

That would be a good game to write some AI for
I originally intended to use it only for AI to make patrol paths and stuff, but it was too interesting to only leave it for AI. There already is a sprint option, where the player will automatically look at the next way point and move faster (maybe giving the ability to dodge bullets better, but shooting would be disabled/unaccurate).
You really like line of sight calculations, don't you?
It's my trademark : -P

To answer from where LuX comes from, it's from my name Lukas. When a Finn spells it fast, it sounds like their saying "Luuks" which translates to LuX. I've played LoL too, not too much anymore, tho.
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ

LuX

Post by LuX » July 15th, 2012, 4:15 pm

Pure epic. Now there's three controllable characters!

Basically you stop time, plan out the route, and voilà, you have a small squad. It's still not perfect, but pretty awesome. :lol:
Attachments
puritytest.png
(49.22 KiB) Downloaded 253 times
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ

Natories

Post by Natories » July 15th, 2012, 9:20 pm

This looks great! I hope to one day have this kinda skill at programming!

Asimov

Post by Asimov » July 15th, 2012, 10:19 pm

Hi Lux,

All your games look very original and that is the hardest thing to do in games, which is why I am ripping off an old idea to start out with. I have my own ideas for games, but I will get to them at some point.

What is the objective of the game after you have followed your path?

Asimov
----> Asimov
"You know no matter how much I think I have learnt. I always end up hitting brick walls"
http://www.asimoventerprises.co.uk

LuX

Post by LuX » July 16th, 2012, 9:33 am

@Asimov
The objective would be to just eliminate all enemies from an area.

The story would be something like, that the character is some sort of an agent or assassin, and has to sneak in to some buildings and kill everyone. Maybe even have different mission types, like 'save the hostages' or 'secure weapons factory' which have their own speciality.

I haven't decided if the final game is gonna be a single character or squad game. Controlling multiple characters is fairly easy, but the controls have to be a lot harder, so I think I'm going to start off with a single character game and later make a squad option.

The game is probably gonna be some mixture of Frozen synapse and Fallout tactics with a touch of my own.
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ

Asimov

Post by Asimov » July 16th, 2012, 4:20 pm

Hi Lux,

The way you stop time and plan out your route reminds me of laser squad nemesis, a very good game.

Asimov
----> Asimov
"You know no matter how much I think I have learnt. I always end up hitting brick walls"
http://www.asimoventerprises.co.uk

LuX

Post by LuX » July 16th, 2012, 9:26 pm

Got a bit further today, completing way point commands.
So now you can set different commands on each way point (or not) ranging from different movement types to looking types to attack types and waiting for a duration.

I wanted to add some flexibility to movement, while still keeping it fairly simple, so I added just the basic movement commands one could need for the game. It still has some minor bugs like this annoying heap corruption warning and some of the sprites will sometimes turn out messy.

Also the game is completely missing a way point eraser system, or the function to add a way point between two, etc. I tried something similar to chili's new tutorial to keep the way points in a recursion kind of style, but after 10 different approaches it still bugged out like crazy. Eventually......
purity.png
(14.57 KiB) Downloaded 207 times
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ