Series Direction Poll [Closed]

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.

What should I do for the next game project?

Start it immediately using the structured programming paradigms taught thus far.
9%
Postpone it and move directly to C++ object-oriented topics. The game project will be started later and it will use object-oriented paradigms. The framework will likely be taught sooner as well.
91%

Total votes: 33

magusofmirrors

Re: [Sticky] Series Direction Poll

Post by magusofmirrors » June 21st, 2012, 3:43 am

Your reasoning is interesting as its "novel". However, the problem is that if we do one program in C, then you might get too used to the older functions, and we can't have that for game programming :/.
The admins are coming!!!

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » June 21st, 2012, 2:04 pm

Hey nG, yeah that was part of my thinking as well. The problem is just it seems like a waste to put all that effort into developing a game with techniques which we will rarely if ever use in an actual project.

Accucore:
You have some good ideas there. I'm not sure though if it will be feasible to do the game project right from the start without some kind of primer into classes. And although there are many resources out there on C++, I doubt many of them can match my level of profanity and general crassness, so I think I'll still have my niche.
Chili

Asimov

Post by Asimov » June 21st, 2012, 8:35 pm

Hi Chilli,

I think it is best to move on into C++ whether it is a game or just techniques.

Also I agree the game could demonstrate different techniques in C++.

Then I would love it to move into the black arts of networking.
Maybe in to the realms of creating a network server so that we can all join up and play the game.

Asimov

PS. Maybe less poo in the next game LOL.
----> Asimov
"You know no matter how much I think I have learnt. I always end up hitting brick walls"
http://www.asimoventerprises.co.uk

XxWalKaxX

Post by XxWalKaxX » June 22nd, 2012, 1:38 am

i voted to post-pone, but also the take everything we have learned and put to use would help with the learning process, maybe something semi-simple just see more of how everything we have been can be used
What you call a bug...I call a new feature!

LuX

Post by LuX » June 22nd, 2012, 10:05 am

Doesn't take too much of a brain cell to figure out how you can use the stuff he has taught. And there rarely is something you can only use for one thing, so I don't personally see the point of an example.. A quick recap might be useful, but I'd rather get straight to business with c++.
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ

nG Inverse

Post by nG Inverse » June 22nd, 2012, 7:28 pm

LuX wrote:Doesn't take too much of a brain cell to figure out how you can use the stuff he has taught. And there rarely is something you can only use for one thing, so I don't personally see the point of an example.. A quick recap might be useful, but I'd rather get straight to business with c++.
There is honestly no need to act like such a badass because this kind of stuff comes naturally to you. I mean, come on, not everyone picks up something like programming in their sleep. You are gifted with what you are able to take and interpret, don't take it for granted and insult others for not being on "your level".

I personally had prior programming experience, but it was with a much simpler subset scripting language, Pawn. With that, I am still on the thinking level of it and it is taking me time to adjust to the different type of things that can be taken advantage of, such as objects, structs, etc.

I know Chili sees you are a "stand up guy" due to your accomplishes as a fellow programmer here, but don't come and insult others. That is unacceptable, and I don't see Chili being perfectly fine with that (if so, I've been taking him wrong this whole time).

LuX

Post by LuX » June 22nd, 2012, 7:40 pm

Haha, no need to turn green here. I never insult people intentionally, and apologize if you took it that way. You see, even tho I speak English pretty good, I still don't see the meanings of all sayings.

I might be wrong but I think the reason why chili likes me is because I'm generally helpful and kind.

To be honest I'm not that good in programming, just pretty good at maths and I've also been to a course that tought better computer usage and information searching and that sort of stuff so if I don't know something I find the solution pretty fast.
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ

LuX

Post by LuX » June 22nd, 2012, 7:42 pm

But to form my post differently, what I meant is generally that the stuff chili teaches needs to be viewd from a distance, and you'll see the potential of said stuff to be used in multiple places in different ways.
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ

Asimov

Post by Asimov » June 22nd, 2012, 8:21 pm

Hi all,

I didn't take what Lux said as offensive at all.

I think Chilli is giving us the tools to make our own game. I for one didn't make the poo game myself. However I did watch all the tutorials avidly. Then I took that to make my own game. I have had quite a bit of programming experience in the past, but not in this area.

if you have an imagination you can make any game. I am at the moment remaking an old game, not because I have no imagination, but because I am learning the ropes.

If you haven't got an idea for a game. Take an old game and revamp it for practice. That is how the whole software industry got created.

(PS. If you think I am making slow progress on my game it is not because I am slow, it is because i am in a team making a game in Unity 3D, and I am spending a lot of time building models for that game).

Asimov
----> Asimov
"You know no matter how much I think I have learnt. I always end up hitting brick walls"
http://www.asimoventerprises.co.uk

npissoawsome

Post by npissoawsome » June 22nd, 2012, 8:41 pm

Asimov wrote: (PS. If you think I am making slow progress on my game it is not because I am slow, it is because i am in a team making a game in Unity 3D, and I am spending a lot of time building models for that game).
Asimov
What game? Possibly the one with Mr. Mattyplays?