Classic Space Shooter - (Vortexnova [1.0])

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
LuX

Re: Classic Space Shooter - (Vortexnova [1.0])

Post by LuX » June 29th, 2012, 1:41 pm

So here's the latest version of the game. I named it Vortexnova, for no apparent reason.

The game has a lot of fixes and improvements in accuracy of movement and I remade the enemies to be a lot more fun to fight against. They will spawn faster and move faster over time, in a smooth way, rather than suddenly boosting their speed.

From the visual part its a complete makeover with glittering sparkles and I didn't spare transparent pixels anywhere. I also made the menus to look a bit cooler.

As always; controls:
WASD - move
Mouse - aim
Left Mouse - shoot
Right Mouse - suck stardust (formerly particles)
Right Mouse Release - launch stardust
Tab - pause menu (new)

The game has now a pause menu, and you need it to access the shop, where you can buy cool new weapons, bullets, most importantly, powerguns, repairs...

The score save system works somewhat, but it's extremely buggy. Sometimes the score wont save properly, sometimes it wont load properly, sometimes it randomy erases saves etc. But sometimes it works :lol:

Feel free to try and make the score system work. I tried multiple ways, the best so far is the current one where I basically coded it the hard way, one by one.
Attachments
Vortexnova [1.0].rar
(717.16 KiB) Downloaded 301 times
Vortexnova.png
(791.3 KiB) Downloaded 187 times
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ

Asimov

Post by Asimov » June 29th, 2012, 2:07 pm

Hi Lux,

Very impressive. Think you could do with a scrolling score board, but the game is fantastic.
I love the transparent balls as well.

I think this would be good as a two player game as well, just need some winsock code to make it work.

Asimov
----> Asimov
"You know no matter how much I think I have learnt. I always end up hitting brick walls"
http://www.asimoventerprises.co.uk

chili
Site Admin

Post by chili » June 30th, 2012, 2:35 am

Looking very polished LuX, very nice! The menu system great. At first I thought you were using sprites for it, but now I see you coded your own controls using line drawing etc. Hardcore. 8-)

P.S. The scoreboard works fine on my computer.
Chili

XxWalKaxX

Post by XxWalKaxX » June 30th, 2012, 5:53 am

awesome game Lux, but its a bitch to play w/ a laptop haha i dont have a mouse all i have is the touch pad so i had to change to kbd but thumbs up bro, kick ass
What you call a bug...I call a new feature!

LuX

Post by LuX » June 30th, 2012, 1:52 pm

Thanks for the replies!

@Asimov
Asimov wrote:I love the transparent balls
*I giggled*, Multiplayer could be pretty cool. I just have no idea how to make it cross internet working. Something on local internet could work where I just send around a shared file with all the info to all players.

@chili
I only used sprites for the background, well, mostly because I hate to load sprites and make separate buffers and so on... But other than that it's because of the way I implemented my pixel buffer, that is combined with the second putpixel function. I had to separate the char drawing to use the "normal" pixels.

But what can I say? I like to make things automated and complex.

The scoreboard works? Try to lose the game at 0 minutes and see what happens. On my computer is just ignores all 0 and generates a random number instead (or "undefined number"). And sometimes I lose the name of the score below. Like if this happens when I end the game at score 9 for example, I lose the name of the score 8.

@XxWalKaxX
Glad you like it. The game might be a bit challenging without a mouse, since it's pretty much (or is supposed to be) reflex based game.

I didn't do too much testing of the difficulty. Should have added a difficulty option. Maybe i'm just a pro at this game :lol: , But I found it rather easy. Lasted 30 minutes easily and then just quitted, because the enemies wont get harder after 20 minutes.

Anyways... If someone else thinks the game is too easy aswell, or just want to make it harder, faster and rise the max hardness cap, replace the "// Spawn enemy:" code with this.

Code: Select all

int RNDTime = (int)((rand() % ((int)EnemySpawnRate - 2000)) + 500 + (EnemySpawnRate / 5));
		if (EnemySpawnTimer.GetTimeMilli() > RNDTime)
		{
			for (int n = 0; n < Ene; n += 1)
			{
				if (E[n].Enemy == false)
				{
					E[n].Enemy = true;
					double RNDDeg = (rand() % ((int)(M_PI * 2 * 1000))) / 1000;
					E[n].EnemyX = (int)(400 + 550 * cos(RNDDeg));
					E[n].EnemyY = (int)(300 + 550 * sin(RNDDeg));
					double SPD = 3 + (Min * 0.5);
					if (SPD > 8) {SPD = 8;}
					SPD = (SPD / 2) * 10000;
					E[n].EnemySpeed = ((rand() % (int)(SPD)) + 20000 + (2000 * Min)) / 10000;
					E[n].EnemyR = (rand() % 30) + 20;

break;
				}
			}
			EnemySpawnTimer.StartWatch();
		}
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ

Asimov

Post by Asimov » June 30th, 2012, 2:05 pm

Hi Lux,

I have been working with some server and client code now, which I have got to work.

In the game you would give the option of being the server or the client. Then the other person would choose client. Then there would have to be a way of entering the ip address in.
You can use winsock2.h for this.

I have been looking into the program auto looking up your ip as well, but it is more complicated than I though LOL.

Asimov
----> Asimov
"You know no matter how much I think I have learnt. I always end up hitting brick walls"
http://www.asimoventerprises.co.uk

xXFracXx

Post by xXFracXx » September 6th, 2013, 8:33 am

Where is the download and is there a tutorial on this? I would like to remake it for a school project :)
Edit: I found the download for v0.7 and v1.0, but need a tutorial, pls help :)

LuX

Post by LuX » September 6th, 2013, 4:51 pm

Ah, the memories!

Sorry, there are no tutorials, Chili's not enough? I used pretty much only things he taught plus a few implementations of my own, but based on his. Take your time.
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ

xXFracXx

Post by xXFracXx » September 8th, 2013, 1:04 pm

LuX wrote:Ah, the memories!

Sorry, there are no tutorials, Chili's not enough? I used pretty much only things he taught plus a few implementations of my own, but based on his. Take your time.
I have seen chili's beginner Game tutorial, but it's a bit to slow for me, I already know all the C++ related stuff he shows/teaches in the first few tutorial. Does he have any other tutorial that I have missed or following the previously mentioned one would do.

Also I have to submit the project latest by this weekend (i.e 15th), and the whole reason I want to remake this game in my way is -
1. I want to do something different from my fellow students (most of them are doing simple C++ File interaction programs.)
2. I was anyways going to try remaking Space Invaders from the Nokia mobiles, but this is way more fun and cooler.

As a request, can you show me how to go about making the Game, I am really interested and am a quick learner, I really want to do this. Eagerly awaiting a reply! Thanks :)

LuX

Post by LuX » September 8th, 2013, 2:19 pm

Hmm... personally I found the game to be pretty simple to "think" how to make and to program, but the details and math take a bit more. I actually wanted to remake this too a long time ago, and started to by adding different enemies and by making the graphics somewhat better: http://www.planetchili.net/forum/viewto ... f=3&t=1541

Next month I'll have a bit more time as now I'm having my first few final exams. And I really want to program some quick game so I thought about making this game again, but with shaders and stuff.

Since you have experience with C++ the only thing left is some math as there isn't much else to it. I know the code in the Vortex Nova is horrible, but you should find the key parts that make the game work. You'll have to be more specific if you need help since; 1. There is no point on making a full tutorial of a game that one could make using all chili has taught and 2. My personal time is limited.

Given your short time in which you have to have it done makes it a bit tricky. Even as I would consider myself experienced when it comes to top-down-like 2D shooters ( which I have been doing a lot ) I would still calculate I would need about 5 days to make a cool looking game like this. Maybe 2 days ( or one dedicated day ) for a basic version, and probably a week or two for an awesome one with shaders.

Thinking back when I made this originally it took me a lot of time. Looking at the time stamps you can see it took me about a month to fully complete the game.
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ