Classic Space Shooter - (Vortexnova [1.0])

The Partridge Family were neither partridges nor a family. Discuss.
LuX

Classic Space Shooter - (Vortexnova [1.0])

Post by LuX » June 11th, 2012, 4:55 pm

This one is one of my mini projects that I do when I'm bored, and want to do something quick but cool.

It's an old school space shooter, where you shoot evil bubbles! The bubbles get smaller when you shoot them and eventually disappear. Survive long enough and you'll get new weapons.

There's also a score system, that doesn't work properly yet... But the main game is complete.

Use WASD to glide around the screen and mouse to aim and shoot. Have fun!
There's no music in the game so... *insert your favorite music* The game takes about 5-12 minutes depending on your skills.
Attachments
SpaceShooter.png
(41.61 KiB) Downloaded 536 times
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ

Asimov

Re: Classic Space Shooter

Post by Asimov » June 11th, 2012, 5:51 pm

Hi Lux,

Looks good and I wanted to have a go at this. Downloaded it and first it complained it couldn't find bitmap.cpp. So I removed it from the project and dragged it in manually.

Then I got link errors and stuff

1>C:\Users\Thomas R Williams\Downloads\Square [0.6]\Square [0.6]\Debug\Chili DirectX Framework.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 4 unresolved externals

Here is just one of them.

Maybe it is something I doing wrong heh heh.

Asimov
----> Asimov
"You know no matter how much I think I have learnt. I always end up hitting brick walls"
http://www.asimoventerprises.co.uk

LuX

Post by LuX » June 11th, 2012, 6:33 pm

hmm... strange.
Dunno why that happens... Did you run it in c++ using the "start debugging" rather than "start without debugging"?

Well, I uploaded the debug separately now, if you want to have a go with the game.
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ

Asimov

Post by Asimov » June 11th, 2012, 6:47 pm

Hi Lux,

This is brillient and so additive. This could be the next big thing. I keep forgetting I can move my target while I am trying to dodge the balloons.

How about having the red balloons shrink and introduce some exploding green balloons.

Asimov
----> Asimov
"You know no matter how much I think I have learnt. I always end up hitting brick walls"

magusofmirrors

Post by magusofmirrors » June 11th, 2012, 6:50 pm

Yeah... I think you should concentrate on a few, big projects... This is really messed up- I had to manually fix this myself by:
1. Deleting bitmap.cpp from the project and the directory
2. Remaking bitmap.cpp and copy-pasting the code from the original file
3. Doing the same for bitmap.h
That should solve your problem Asimov, so go and make me proud!

Anyways, Lux, I got lots of errors, mostly deprecation and conversion warnings. Go check my text file.
Attachments
My Build.txt
(16.57 KiB) Downloaded 262 times
The admins are coming!!!

LuX

Post by LuX » June 11th, 2012, 7:01 pm

I don't see errors there. The warning are just some annoying conversion warnings, but they never killed anyone so I don't care about them.
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ

magusofmirrors

Post by magusofmirrors » June 11th, 2012, 7:12 pm

Wait!! I believe I fixed it. I changed your project so that there is explicit type-casting wherever my compiler complains about it. I also changed your functions to the "safe" ones. Please turn deprecation checking on because I don't know how :P . I attached my fix of your game, Lux, for the enjoyment of everyone 8-) ! You owe me. :mrgreen:

Edit: You may not care about the type conversion and probably not about the safe functions either, but I am pretty sure cleaning that up scares less people and makes your project easier to modify.
Last edited by magusofmirrors on June 11th, 2012, 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The admins are coming!!!

LuX

Post by LuX » June 11th, 2012, 7:23 pm

Sure, whatever.
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ

Asimov

Post by Asimov » June 11th, 2012, 8:53 pm

Hi Lux,

I am quite happy to play the exe rather than cleaning up code. Where would the fun be there LOL.

I think a nice star field in the background would look cool though.

Asimov
----> Asimov

LuX

Post by LuX » June 11th, 2012, 10:19 pm

Here's an epic new feature: Space dust! When you shoot enemies, or when they die, they poop out some blue particles that then can be sucked in holding down the right mouse button. Note that you can't shoot while sucking so fly over a nice group of particles before sucking.
ParticleAura.png
(40.19 KiB) Downloaded 515 times
When you release, it will launch out all the particles you have sucked in, damaging all enemies it hits.
Single particles don't do that much damage so it's wise to wait till you have a lot of it.
I think a nice star field in the background would look cool though.
:roll: You and your backgrounds... Might be cool anyways. I'll see if I find something awesome.

-----------------------

If you get the "Bitmap.h and .cpp not found", do this:
In c++ project solution remove both Bitmap files. Open the folder and go to "Assets". Select both Bitmap files and drag them into the project solution. Now it should work.
Attachments
Space Shooter [0.7].rar
(Debug)
(47.83 KiB) Downloaded 382 times
Square [0.7].rar
(Project)
(60.86 KiB) Downloaded 371 times
ʕ •ᴥ•ʔ